961 Beer Lebanese Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhagen

Reaction score
Anyone had this or tried to brew it? This is a very good beer newly available in the northeast US. This particular beer is flavored with hops *and* thyme, sumac, camomile, sage, anise, and mint. The spices do not dominate, they meld with each other favorably to deliver a floral, herbal aroma that hops cannot bring. It has no funk or sour of a typical Belgian or Brett. It works very well, and I would like to try; but I am wondering about when to use the herbs, use fresh or dry, dry "hop" them, make a separate tea added back to the brew later. Anyone?

The founder of 961 was on the brewing network a while ago. I remember the interview being fascinating, but I think that was as much because of the difficulties of starting a brewery in Lebanon, and because of his personality, as because of any particular brewing information. I remember him talking about the herbs, but don't recall the details. You might want to give this a listen:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/842

As always with the BN, be prepared for more than a bit of off-color humor.

Let me know what you come up with as this beer was so good...really a fantastic beer and well done. Not many like it either

I would probably add the spices at flameout the first go at it...if its too weak, add a tea as well next time

Back