full boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ratdog

Reaction score
i am purchasing an 8 gallon pot b4 i do my nxt extract/steeping grain batch.

ive been doing partial 4 gallon boils with a late addition of the LME.
getting twang taste tho.

question with doing a full boil should i still add my LME late?

I haven't used LME for quite some time but I would always make it a late boil addition. The longer the boil the easier it is for scorching.

I used a 30qt for full boils...I used ferm-cap to prevent boil-over, might be something you'll want to check into.

I use a 30 quart for a full boil and don't really have problems with boil over.

If it were me I would add all of the LME at the beginning. I always lost my boil when doing late extract additions though because I couldn't stir when it was on my stove in the spot. As long is everything is throughouly dissolved I think adding it all at the beginning would be fine.

Others might disagree though, and I am just theorizing

im gonna have to do a side by side comparison of the same two kits and decide for myself. thanks for ur inputs

Don't know if the twang you're getting is really due to only boiling 4 gallons and adding extract late. Something else might be going on. 4 gallons is a pretty decent size for a partial boil, and if you add the extract late . . well, it shouldn't get carmelized.

Twang is kind of a subjective word. I brew extracts and partial mashes and I found that my off flavors went away once I started controlling my fermentation temps. I keep them at the lower end of the temp range for the yeast I am using. It has made a huge difference so far.

Latest posts

Back