Banana nut brown ale doesnt taste or smell like banana's anymore....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
So I used NB's nut brown kit as a base for my banana nut ale. I used WLP300, underpitched and fermented on the high side (70-71) and everything was going well. It tasted like a brown with a hint of bananas, aroma was a hint of bananas as well.

I racked to secondary on 1lb banana chips/1lb of bananas (browned and sweet). Let sit for a week, smelled strongly of bananas. Another week it no longer smells like bananas, and I took a sample and the banana taste is gone. It's just hot alcoholy not very pleasant.

Will the bananas come back out after the hotness mellows or will it fade after bottle carbing as well? I have a bottle of banana extract as a last resort but I can't decide if I should bottle and wait it out or use the extract.

This is just a guess but the dried bananas are usually candied and have fermentable sugar on them that could have fermented into hot alcohol taste.

They were un-glazed, organic banana chips. Even if they were, do you think there was enough sugar to go from tasty to hot?

This post helps me out a lot cuz I've been rackin my brain for a week about the banana nut porter I wanna make and whether to use real bananas/chips/extract and when to add it in. I would just wait it out if I were you and if you don't like it, use the extract next time. Someone posted a banana cream ale recipe and he used extract during boiling and real bananas in the secondary and let it sit in there for 20 days. Please update and let me know how it turned out!

i used 10 lbs of banana that i dehydrated at home in the secondary of a nut brown ale #legendary.... make sure you use a blow off tube on the secondary though

Back