Tap handle directly connected to ball lock on keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
OK, I've seen these before...there's one in one of the Austin Picnic photos in the other thread. It's a tap faucet connected right on a corny keg ball lock coupler. I'm interested in this because I'm going to be kegging soon. I don't have a kegerator, because I'm not sure which direction to go on that yet. For now I'll keep my kegs in a dedicated refrigerator, but you'll just open the door to dispense. (This is a really nice full size fridge in my basement bar. No way I'd EVER get spousal approval to drill holes in that thing. :eek: )

I'm curious how these things work, because I'd like the idea of opening the fridge door and pulling a tap connected to the keg, rather than monkeying with a picnic tap connected to 6 feet of tubing. But when I read about "balancing" a tap system the general consensus seems to be that to dispense at say, 12 lbs of pressure without foaming, you generally need about 6 feet of beer line. So if a tap was connected directly to the post with no beer line at all, would that be a balancing nightmare?

I believe it would be a nightmare.
Mostly these are for travel and "parties at the Park" where you'd have a charger on the other side, and be shooting from the hip on pressure anyway.

You need to serve at 1-2 psi for those to work. Unfortunately, your beer will go nearly flat if you store it at 1-2 psi. So, you'll either have to mess with your regulator a lot or find a different solution.

You need to serve at 1-2 psi for those to work. Unfortunately, your beer will go nearly flat if you store it at 1-2 psi. So, you'll either have to mess with your regulator a lot or find a different solution.

+1. Yep. 1-2 PSI works great for dispensing at a party as your keg will be empty long before it has a chance to go flat.

Back