help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoeIPA

Reaction score
Hey guys.. Trying to come up with a recipe with a bunch of left over stuff.. Here is my list if ingredients and can i get your input?

6# Amber LME
1# Flaked oats
6oz Simcoe
1# Citra
3oz Amarillo
2# clover honey
US-05 yeast

I'm sorry if this is a very vague post but i'm still a beginner and looking for some ideas.. Was thinking of a Red wheat IPA brewed with honey roughly 60-70 IBU? Would like to buy as little additional ingredients as possible..

you don't have anything that is going to give you a red SRM and a beer with a OG of 1.042 and 60 to 70 IBU is going to be way out of balance.

Use the LME and the oats and maybe do like a blonde ale ?? You really need some type of specialty grain though. I would empty the couch of all loose change and go get a few lbs of specialty grains at least 8oz of crystal 10 or 20.

i'm not opposed to buying any specialty grains.. I just like to use up some of the " older " ingredients i have before i re-order more stuff..

Buying some specialty grains is fairly cheap, just not sure what goes good with " fruity " hops and amber LME :confused:

half tempted to do a SMASH with the Amber LME and either all simcoe or all citra..

I was just tossing that OG number out there since most IPA generally run about that with 6# of LME correct?

sorry just noticed you said amber lme. Yeah I would just smash it with simcoe. Just adjust your total volume with your 6lbs of lme for the OG you are looking for.

add any of the oats for added body/ haze? i know it wont be a true SMASH but hey.. it's all fun right?

Back