Simple partial grain recipe guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6lluv6lu

Reaction score
I've only done a couple of all extract batches. They came out all right but it's kind of boring. I like IPA's, and I found these instructions for Instant Karma IPA partial grain. http://byo.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/48-partial-mashing/198-beer-the-partial-mash-way. The instructions seem simple, but muddled. I tried to un-muddle them. Also I changed the units to liters and degrees C because I live in a metric centric locale.

++++++++++++++++++++ recipe start +++++++++++++++++++++
1. Begin by bringing 3 liters of water up to a light boil in the saucepan. After a five-minute boil, remove the pot from the stove and allow the water to cool to around 160–170° F (71.1 - 76.7C). It is not necessary to put the lid on while it cools.

2. While waiting for the water to cool, turn your oven to its lowest setting. Ideally, oven temp should be [160° F (71C)] 150 F, 65.5 C, which is just about perfect. As long as the temp inside your oven is between 140–160° F (60 - 71.1C), you will be just fine.

3. Once your water is in the 160–170° F (71-76.7C) range, transfer it to your Dutch oven and slowly mix in the crushed grains. Make certain you add the grains slowly enough to prevent dry clumps.

4. After your “mash” is thoroughly mixed, put the lid on your pot and put it in the oven. If the lowest setting on your oven leaves you a bit warm, turn the oven off just before you put the pot in it. The temperature of the oven and the mash will stay close enough to achieve the desired results.

Resist the urge to peek while the grain is working! If you let off too much heat and the temp drops below 145° F, you will have to get the temp back up and that risks getting the mash too hot. Best to just leave it to its own devices.

5. While the mash sits in the warm oven, bring 3.5 liters to a light boil in a large pot. After boiling for five minutes, take it off the heat and put a lid on it, allowing it to cool somewhat. You want the temperature of this water to be between 140–170° F (60 - 76.7C) ; basically hot, but not boiling.

6. After your mash has been in the oven for 30–45 minutes, pull it out.

7. Place the spaghetti colander over your brewing pot. You may need someone to hold it for you. Dump the grains into the colander, making certain any liquid runs off into your brew pot. I am not able to get a full 2.5 lbs. of mash into my colander. Don’t worry, just put as much in as you comfortably can. Pull a few cups of hot tap water and slowly pour it over the mash. Repeat this until you have slowly poured roughly 3.5 liters.

8. If your colander is capable of sitting on the top of your brew pot without the help of an assistant, then you can slowly pour the water (from step 5) over the grains, allowing the liquid to collect in your brew pot. Otherwise, I recommend ladling the water over the grains to prevent possibly burning your brewing partner and being forced to drink alone. If you have not been able to get all the grain into your colander, then rinse the grain in shifts. Save enough water to finish rinsing any grain still in the Dutch oven. After you have rinsed the grains with all the water, you are finished with them.

????Add additional water to your brew pot to get up to the volume of water you traditionally use for your extract brewing. huh????

The Boil:

9. You will have approximately 3 to 6 liters of water in your pot from rinsing the grains. Add another 3.78 liters or so of water (remember, this is “ballpark” brewing) and two ounces of Columbus hops.

10. Now bring your wort to a nice light boil for thirty minutes. Your boil does not need to be too aggressive to extract the hop bitterness.

11. With fifteen minutes remaining in the boil, add the two ounces of Cascade hops.

12. With two minutes boil time left add the remaining ounce of Columbus hops.

13. After the thirty-minute boil, turn off the heat, wait for the wort to come down off its boil and then mix in the light malt extract and DME. Be sure all the extracts are thoroughly dissolved. Sanitation is still very important, so you do need to mix in the malt extracts while the wort in your pot is still over 160° F (71.1C).

14. Dump ice to make 19 liters.

15. Once the wort is cool, pitch your yeast and ferment.

++++++++++++++++++++ recipe end ++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are my questions:

Have I more or less correctly understood the original instructions?

Are not steps 7 and 8 the same step? You wouldn't want to use straight tap water, right? I'd want to be pouring the boiled water over the grains, no?

I also don't grok the "volume of water you traditionally use" sentence, especially because step 9 is adding 3.78 liters of water.

My conception is to use enough water for mixing in the extracts, then add about ice to make about a 19 liter batch. (I don't have a chiller and I understand that cooling is very important. My tests show that ice works fabulously. I plan to make the ice from boiled water and store it in the freezer in zip lock bags.)

Yes, you have more or less understood the original instructions.

Yes, steps 7 and 8 appear to be the same step. Contrary to popular belief, many folks have had no issues using straight, cold tap water to sparge without a noticable negative effect. Yes, sparge water is used to rinse your grains therefore it's poured over the grains.

The water you traditionally use simply means the normal amount of water you begin your boil with. For example, when I boil a full 5 gallon batch I begin the boil with ~6.5gallons - 6.5gallons would be what I traditionally use.

Your method of mixing in the extracts and then adding ice to reach 19 liters sounds fine. Chilling quickly is a good thing, but that doesn't mean that chilling slowly is a bad thing. It's more about your process and the end results you are aiming for. Personally, I would stir in my malt extracts with a little bit of time left in the boil (5-10 minutes) to better ensure complete mixing and sterilization of any bad things in them. Additionally, I would add a portion of the malt extracts at the beginning of the boil and the remainder a few minutes from the end.

Overall, your steps seem a overly detailed and complex. I believe the process to be much more simple than it's written. If you post your recipe, batch size, and equipment you'll be using I bet you can get a simplified set of instructions from a member here. Alternatively, have a read through the following thread on "Easy Partial Mashing" as written by DeathBrewer - it's a great write-up on the process and gives you a visual of your brewday before having to do it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

When I read the step 7 & 8, I am thinking step 7 is of the 1st runnings (liquid that was on the grains for 30-45 mins in the oven) and then step 8 is taking the heated sparge water (step 5 water) and pouring it over the grains for the second runnings. The second step is just a way to rinse more malt sugars from the mash grains.

Agree with stpug on the rest. The instructions sound a bit more complex than it is, but then again... before I did it the first time, it was scary complex to me too!

Have a good brewday!
--LexusChris

The water you traditionally use simply means the normal amount of water you begin your boil with. For example, when I boil a full 5 gallon batch I begin the boil with ~6.5gallons - 6.5gallons would be what I traditionally use.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Thank you for the helpful comments.
What I don't get about adding water to get up to a certain volume in this step is because it seems contradictory with the next step that says to add 3.78 liters to 3 to 6 liters. Unless I have my pots confused and the 'pot' is different than 'brew pot'.

Oh yeah, I did post this in the Recipes forum after all:

6.6 lbs. Coopers light malt syrup 6.6 * 38 / 5 = 50
1 lb. Coopers light dry malt extract 1 * 42 / 5 = 8.4
2 lbs. Dingeman’s Munich malt 2.5 * 22 / 5 = 11
0.5 lb. Dingeman’s aromatic malt total = 69.4 OG
3 oz. Columbus hops
2 oz. Cascade hops
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast

I've read all kinds of opinions on boiling the extracts or not, I didn't realize that you can't assume they're sterile. I leaned toward the not boiling because none of the instructions in the kits I've gotten so far have included boiling. (I think.) I know you're supposed to throw away the instructions, but shouldn't the makers of the kits have some kind of idea about the best way to use them?

This is the first time I've heard that maybe not cooling the wort quickly might not be desirable. Mr. Malty sure seems bent on cooling it quickly.

When I read the step 7 & 8, I am thinking step 7 is of the 1st runnings (liquid that was on the grains for 30-45 mins in the oven)
--LexusChris

It sure is great to get helpful replies so quickly. Thank you.

I see what you're saying here, but he said "hot tap water" poured over the mash. I understood that the liquid that was in the oven is already in the pot from the first part of step 7 where he says "Dump the grains into the colander, making certain any liquid runs off into your brew pot."

Back