Cologne Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
I posted this on the beginning brewer thread but it got buried pretty quick, hopefully I'll get a few more responses here. I purchased the Cologne Kolsch extract kit from Midwest Supplies the other day and was wondering if anyone else has brewed this up recently (or, ever). The description makes it sounds like it's a mix between an ale (lower 60's ferment temp) and lager (cold store for at least a month). I'm also curious about doing a late extract addition, and if that might be necessary at all. Here is a link to the kit for details.

I have not brewed it yet, but did brew Midwest's Altbier and followed the same type of fermentation schedule with a "lagering" period. Turned out really well. I think kolsch is one if the styles you are better off using liquid yeast strains for to brew it to style as well. On the late extract addition I would definitely do it, I do in all my beers. Keeps color lighter and less maliard reactions and caramelizing of the wort, so better beer regardless of the style.

you don't have to do the cold storage period, if you don't care to. It will be a different beer though. To be stylistically accurate, you would need to use the liquid strain of yeast, there is no dry Kolsch yeast. the cold storage will make it almost lager like, crisp and refreshing. A little less clean than a lager, since it uses ale yeast.

I have not brewed it yet, but did brew Midwest's Altbier and followed the same type of fermentation schedule with a "lagering" period. Turned out really well. I think kolsch is one if the styles you are better off using liquid yeast strains for to brew it to style as well. On the late extract addition I would definitely do it, I do in all my beers. Keeps color lighter and less maliard reactions and caramelizing of the wort, so better beer regardless of the style.

In this case, yes, late extract addition would be very important to keep the color light. As far as a general practice, I agree late extract additions are good, but I wouldn't say regardless of style. If you're going extra-malty (I'm thinking Barleywines or Scottish Ales), I would welcome the Maillard reactions from boiling the extract longer.

And yes, if you're doing a Kolsch, liquid yeast is mandatory. Without a true Kolsch yeast strain, it's not going to taste like a Kolsch.

Thanks, guys! I did end up getting the WYeast liquid upgrade, so I'm glad to hear you all say that's the way to go. How "late" should I wait to add the malt extract? I was planning on half at 60 minutes and half at 15 minutes?

As for the actual process, I planned on fermenting at ~60°F for at least a week in primary, then raising to >65°F for 24 hours or so. After that, rack to secondary and let 'er sit for at least a month at 45°F (that's as cold as I can get it).

The extract addition schedule sounds good to me, as do the ferm temps (although if the temperature raise is for a D-rest, I've never needed it with that yeast). But I'd let it go longer in primary than a week. Mine is getting 3 weeks before transfer and lagering.

Back