Home malt toasting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beastman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on making a smoked porter tomorrow, and my recipe calls for 3.75 lbs of homemade amber, and 3.75 lbs of homemade brown, along with 2.5 lbs of dry extract.

so, i've read that in roasting the grains at home, it converts the sugars to a more complex one that the enzymes cannot break down. first question, is this true?

if so, if i toast ALL of my grains (half amber/half brown), will i only have complex sugars, aside from whats in the dry extract? is this a problem? should i leave some of my grain untoasted? if anyone has any experience with this, a breif explanation of whats going on is greatly appreciated.

I think what you mean is that it carmelizes the sugars. Just roasting the grains alone will give you more color and I would think more complex sugars like you said. I think though, that if you wet the grains or soaked them and let them slightly convert you could roast them and get more sugar...

I think im talking out of my ass though. Look form LaughingGnomeInvisible's post on this.

Let the grains sit a week or two before you use them.

Back