Mini Kegs - what is the scoop on them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstein

Reaction score
I am looking into maybe getting a mini keg system and was wondering how well they perform. What if any issues. So far I haven't seen much on them.

thanks in advance for the info.

I've got one full of bitter that I'm going to tap and dispense by gravity in a week or two. So far no problems...but we'll see how it works out. Several guys here have significant experience with these minikegs, so I'm sure they'll help you out.

monk

Cool, thanks. I was looking at getting one to cut down on the number of bottles I have to use and keep around the house.

I started with mini-kegs. I had a great deal of trouble with the tapping system, some German-made plastic POS. It doesn't seem to be on the market any more. I also had problems cleaning the kegs, but if I had had a tap that actually worked, I probably would have purchased the proper brush. I liked the idea and with a ALL METAL tap, I probably would have stuck with them.

david_42 said:
...some German-made plastic POS. It doesn't seem to be on the market any more...
I still have one...:D HAHAHA!!!

I have about 20 mini-kegs that I've reused for years.

To save $$$ try looking for the gravity kegs...you won't have to buy a tap.

They have a tap that pulls out of the bottom (side) of the keg and has a bung in the top that has a plastic lever that allows air to flow in.

The only problem you may have is if you bottle/keg before the brew is not done and you over prime. You WILL get leaking kegs...and lose beer.:eek:

david_42 said:
I started with mini-kegs. I had a great deal of trouble with the tapping system, some German-made plastic POS.

Me too. These kegs are great in theory, poor in reality. They are no substitute for corny kegs by any means.

1) you cannot maintain proper carbonation levels AND dispense the beer (without foaming) unless you de-pressurise and re-pressurise repeatedly. Cost you a fortune in CO2 cartridges. The alternative is to drink the entire contents in one session.

2) These are carbon steel kegs with a thin plastic liner like a tin can. Any fault in the liner will allow the beer to come in contact with the steel, which will result in rusty tasting beer. Aggressive cleaning or even slight over carbonation will cause the liner to fail.

I pitched all of mine in the recycling after one too many wasted batches.

Run Forrest, run!

Maybe try a Tap-A-Draft thats what I bought and so far very happy for the money.
This will get me by for now, but I still like some bottles to share with friends.

I have a German Tapper and an insulating Barrel serving sleeve, plus a coulple bungs for anyone using the mini barrel system. Send me a PM and I'll ship the whole lot to someone for $38 plus actual shipping costs.

Latest posts

Back