Iodophor - Does it have to dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
I have been using iodophor ever since my second batch...But I just realized something. I don't always let it dry.

I know it's a no-rinse sanitizer when at 12.5 ppms, but does it have to dry?

I normally don't let it dry all the way just becaues of time. For instance, I sanitize my primary during the boil, but it's definitely not completely dry when I transfer to it.

No, it does not have to dry. Just needs to be wet for the required contact time.

Ok, just to clarify....

I know it doesn't have to dry to sanitize the equipment, I'm mainly asking if it's safe to drink :). I'm assuming that if I put beer on the remaining Iodophor, the Iodophor will never actually dry and will be in the beer....right?

bigben said:
Ok, just to clarify....

I know it doesn't have to dry to sanitize the equipment, I'm mainly asking if it's safe to drink :). I'm assuming that if I put beer on the remaining Iodophor, the Iodophor will never actually dry and will be in the beer....right?

I would not drink it at 12.5 ppm, but the small amount left on the equipment, diluted into the entire volume of beer will be fine (safe, no taste, etc.).

Ok cool. I haven't tasted it in any of my brews yet. I just came to the realization that it wasn't drying first before transfering. Same goes for kegs and bottles when I rack to them...they are usually still a bit wet.

Thanks for making me feel better :)

Beerific is right. I listened to the Basic Brewing podcast and the guy said that, in reality, after 15 seconds worth of contact the nasties will be killed. 2 minutes is the amount stated on the bottle, and my LHBS said 15mins! Better safe than sorry??

deharris said:
Beerific is right. I listened to the Basic Brewing podcast and the guy said that, in reality, after 15 seconds worth of contact the nasties will be killed. 2 minutes is the amount stated on the bottle, and my LHBS said 15mins! Better safe than sorry??

15 minutes every brew day will shorten the lif of your plastic significantly...iodophor is a little rough on plastic.

Beerrific said:
15 minutes every brew day will shorten the lif of your plastic significantly...iodophor is a little rough on plastic.

Interesting! I always let my stuff sit in iodaphor solution while I'm taking care of other brew-related items and issues. Next time I'll be speedier in sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back