Wha Happened!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHumanSwing

Reaction score
So I bottled a week ago and came up with one half bottle at the end of the process. I figured I would give it a try to see what it tasted like after 1 week. (this is my first brew)

While I tasted some of my beer when I bottled and it tasted great, though flat, the bottle tasted awful. Really fizzy and kinda tasted like alcoholic water. What is going on? infection? Not enough conditioning time? Too much air in the bottle? Will all my bottles taste this bad?

I have no idea what I am doing.

Give it a couple more weeks in the bottle. The half bottle had too much head space - how long did you cool it down before you tried it? Probably didn't get the CO2 into suspension.

Cheers

It had been refrigerating for an hour. I didnt realize that the refrigeration time would affect it so much

After a week, the co2 probably was not IN the beer, rather in the headspace and escaping from the beer very quickly which made it fizzy. Also co2 can take away some of the beers flavor if it is overcarbonated. Give another brittle a try in a week after it has been in the fridge for at least 48 hours. It will taste totally different and still be green, but it may be a good experience to see how the beer conditions.

Latest posts

Back