Keezer - temp controller probe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nole96

Reaction score
Do you place your probe in a glass of water inside your keezer or let it hang measuring the air temp which fluctuates more quickly?

I have been placing mine in a simple red solo cup of water on the hump. Just wanted to see what everyone else does and if there is any preferrable ways to measure and maintain more accurate temps for the beer.

Similarly, I trap the probe under a chunk of 1" thick closed cell foam and use a velcro strap I picked up a Lowes to cinch it to the side of the fullest keg...

Cheers!

Many temp probes are waterproof but not submersible, and after being submerged for a few weeks/months will start to give bad readings. You might want to make sure yours is submersible if going that route. For my keezer I taped the probe to a small water bottle full of water that I keep in the corner on the hump. For my ferm chamber I tape the probe to the fermenter of the most recently brewed beer and then tape a small folded up rag on top of it.

For my keezer I just don't worry about it. i let it dangle free in the corner.

For my fermentation chest I tape to a fermenter under some insulating foam. That seems to work well.

I am liking the tape to a bottle of water notion for the keezer... I might have to do that.

I placed my probe in a large sandwich bag and put some tape and rubber bands around it...then put it in a half gallon jar of water on the hump ( the opening end of the bag is well out of the water)...I have had my keezer open for a good 20 minutes before without the compressor ever turning on

I also have a smaller glass with a floating therm in it...all holding perfectly at 39 degrees

Drilled a hole in a Gatorade bottle cap, slightly smaller than probe. Covered hole with with duct tape then pushed probe through tape and into hole. Filled bottle with Star San mix, capped.

Tight enough that it won't ever fall into the bottle but also easy enough to remove if needed. Also I've not seen any noticeable evaporation from the bottle yet.

I keep a gel cold pack (like those used for shipping liquid yeast) strapped to the side of a keg with a bungee cord. The probe is in between the gel pack and keg.

Back