Apfelwein in Primary for 13 mo. - Bottling tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanavin

Reaction score
I'm planning on bottling my Apfelwein tomorrow after 13 months. I've got a few questions:

Should I carbonate or bottle it still? (I'm debating between the two.)

If I carbonate it, I think I'll re-pitch some yeast along with the 3/4 cup of dextrose. How much should I use? A half packet?....less?

Would any yeast really be left in suspension after all this time?

I read a Wikipedia article on autolysis (I know, real scientific) and how it can impart good flavors and mouthfeel. Should I just let this go for another year?

I'd bottle some of each. You can always open the bottles of still and carb them later if you find them bbcor to your liking.

Thanks for the advice.

I did 4 wine bottles still and had 8 6-packs that should be carbonated in a few weeks. I'm planning on giving some of the six packs away to a friend.

I tasted some of it and it was slightly funky. I'm hoping it's all good, I might have just had a little too much StarSan in it. Maybe I'm tasting some after taste of autolysis? The air piece did run dry on me, but I never saw any physical signs of mold. Oh well.

Back