The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get..."What is with you and making all these Dark Beers" So I made 2 batches of Blond Ale.

I love your Apple Beer.. she was referencing the Apfelwine I made

Not about the beer but the equipment.

See's copper pipe - Oh - what ya fixing?

Nothing, It's for a project.

Oh. So you're making a distiller.

No. A manifold.

Oh - so it's for distilling.

No - it's for the mash. Works kind of as a filter. For beer. Distilling is illegal.

Oh. So you aren't going to say it's for distilling.

It's for beer. *changed subject*

*conversation was with my dad

Dipsh*t...

I gave my mom one of Edwort's Apfelweins... needless to say she didn't like it all too much.

"This tastes too much like beer!!! ? WTF? :drunk:

I thinking, OK- No big deal. About 20 seconds later...(still in my head, when is the last time you tasted beer?) She doesn't really drink, wine during the holidays. That's about it.

From a 60+ yr old Natural Light drinker, on a Centennial Blonde:

"Wow. That sure has a lot of bubbles."

Not about the beer but the equipment.

See's copper pipe - Oh - what ya fixing?

Nothing, It's for a project.

Oh. So you're making a distiller.

No. A manifold.

Oh - so it's for distilling.

No - it's for the mash. Works kind of as a filter. For beer. Distilling is illegal.

Oh. So you aren't going to say it's for distilling.

It's for beer. *changed subject*

*conversation was with my dad

Dipsh*t...

I'm having the same problem. I'm going to all my local hardware stores (because I like to shop local and give the small guys the money) looking for a 1/2 inch brass bulkhead. Needless to say none of them have it and I'll have to order it off the net, but I was getting the same thing.

What's this for?

Homebrewing.

Oh, you're distilling.

No, brewing beer.

Riiiiight...."beer". ( then they wink at me )

:mad:
From a 60+ yr old Natural Light drinker, on a Centennial Blonde:

"Wow. That sure has a lot of bubbles."

Bwahahahahaha! You made air squirt out of my nose!

This one is only a few minutes old:

My landlord's contractors were over working on the fence and I offered them some beers since they had been over sunday night from 2pm to 11pm fixing the plumbing. The one guy says "I'll have wunna'them coldbers" , and I gotta say I take him for someone who drinks nothing but bud. He's at least 50, very blue collar, and between the mustache and the alabama accent I can barley understand what he is saying. I'll hand it to him though, he had a glass of ESB, dopple o-fest, IPA, and winter brown and he loved them all. When he reached for the IPA tap I warned him that not everyone likes hoppy beers, and he said he did. He took a sip and said "Hey, that thar's kinda like a hepeweizen". I didn't really know what to say to that, haha, I can only assume that he meant it as a compliment.

In a bar:

Me: "I think I am going to try and make a clone of this." (Magic Hat #9)
Random Bar Drunk: "You know how to clone beer?"
Me: "I make my beer at home, it's pretty good."
Bar Drunk: "How long does it take?"
Me: "It depends on the beer, sometimes a few months."
Bar Drunk: Looking at his Born on Date "This beer was made 3 months ago, I can't believe you even have tim to leave your house."

Not completly sure what he meant but I must thing that if you brew, you are constantly brewing.

Another one, on my Vanilla Stout:

"That tastes a lot like Guinness, but I don't taste Vanilla in Guinness, is there Vanilla in Guinness?"

not my brew, but as I am grabbing a tall, corked bottle of Maudite ... (UNIBROUE - OUR BEERS PAGE)
I overhear some random young guy (who likely only ever buys coors light) with a ball cap on backwards say to his friend while they walk by me...
"ever have that stuff, it's horrible! tastes like cough syrop!"

I just smiled at them clearly and walked away with my delicious maudite beer in one hand, and a hobgoblin in the other...

I am wondering, is there a way to clinically prove some people just do not have properly functioning taste buds? i mean, come on! Cough Syrop!??

jeeeeeez

I am wondering, is there a way to clinically prove some people just do not have properly functioning taste buds? i mean, come on! Cough Syrop!??

jeeeeeez

I think people are like seeds a farmer would randomly throw on the soil...
some will germinate and grow (evolve) and some will just never even sprout...

One of my best friends is a Bud Light advocate. After trying some of my first beers, a Cream Ale, Irish Red and Golden Blonde his comment: " Not too bad, but if they sold 'em in the store, I wouldn't buy them." Strange how he keeps showing up on the weekend now just to kill some time over a beer or three, plus money has been showing up in empty bottles after his visits :)...

not my brew, but as I am grabbing a tall, corked bottle of Maudite ... (UNIBROUE - OUR BEERS PAGE)
I overhear some random young guy (who likely only ever buys coors light) with a ball cap on backwards say to his friend while they walk by me...
"ever have that stuff, it's horrible! tastes like cough syrop!"

I just smiled at them clearly and walked away with my delicious maudite beer in one hand, and a hobgoblin in the other...

jeeeeeez

As my good friend Ken Mangina once said, "Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one but no one knows how to use them correctly".

Or as another good friend of mine once said "Opinions are like ********, some people like poking them."

I've been lucky to avoid the mostly stupid comments but get the "Wow, you made this?", "Taste like beer!" and the surprised "This is really good."

Like I'd bother tapping bad beer and serving it to friends. WTF...

Mostly of late its been the "I would buy this", "You should sell this" and "I could drink this all the time." comments that are enjoyable. That always leaves a good feeling. :)

On my first batch ever got from one friend ( Only a couple tried it) "Wow Bradley This is really good". But I am very speptical of compliments because i am too harsh on my beer and just assume their being nice. But that batch was top 2 favorites from what I've made so far! Top 1 being the batch that's carbing right now. At least I hope. I drank the whole hydro sample which I never do because it tasted like great flat beer.

Someone asked a bartender why the baltic porter was served in a wine glass...

Beertender: " It looks prettier in that type of glass."

Local : " I can see why they would choose a glass like this... it does look much better in a wine glass."

Beertender: "I know. It makes you think you're drinking wine or something like that."

Local: "I agree. I like this wine beer!"

Me: pointing and laughing

Everyone else: Wondering what the hell was I laughing at!!

My five year old son at the counter with me and a sixer of Coors Lite for my BIL on his birthday (he only drinks BMC). Somehow he must of heard me talking to my wife but while at the counter he turns to the cashier and says:

"That stuff is crap. My daddy brews better beer than that! He is buying those for my Uncle Jeff, who knows nothing about beer!"

Didn't know what to say... paid turned and thanked the cashier. When I got out the store, my son said, "I guess we told him, huh daddy?"

Ah, the proud moments...

The sucky thing for me is I have no friends who drink outside Bud Light, well actually they have been trying to fill me in on their discovery of that "Bud Select stuff" that's "really awesome".

My own dad will not shut up about me brewing him "a bud light" and has been going on and on for a few years now about it. So I got the stuff together for a partial mash American lager and I am going to make him brew it himself Easter. However its not a Bud Light clone and since Budweiser is way to crazy for him who knows if he will like it.:D

Anyhow I have gotten almost all fake positive feedback but it always ends with "its not my style". Which is so damn annoying! So I kind of quit sharing, I have co-workers begging for samples but I ask them if they only drink bud light then tell them no this is the "real" stuff you cant handle it.

Didn't know what to say... paid turned and thanked the cashier. When I got out the store, my son said, "I guess we told him, huh daddy?"

Ah, the proud moments...

Ha ha ha... kids are awesome, something to be proud about right there. :)

I think the insincere positive responses are worse than someone honestly saying they don't like it.

This is what I'm always afraiad of I think and is why I don't like positive feedback because I don't believe it. My wife finally gave me negative feedback on a beer last week. It was an extract batch with just DME and some Galena hops that I had laying around. I always get the same off flavor when bottling beer (starting to thinking it's from boiling the sugar for 15-20 minutes) but this simple beer really let it out. When she told me she didn't like it, I thought.....hmmm maybe she really did like all the others.

I think the insincere positive responses are worse than someone honestly saying they don't like it.

This is something to consider indeed, but it also depends about "who do you brew it for".
Speaking for myself, im the only beer drinker in the house, wife is really more into red wine, which is fine also while having dinner but i couldn't see myself drinking red wine for a whole evening, i once did that when i was younger and it was probably one of the worst hangover i ever had, mouth was dry like a skull lying in the sand in a sun scorching desert, heart beating like it wanted out and such, never again.

That being said, i only give some to friends when they come to my place, only the friends who are known beer enthusiasts or then a little wine glass (cup) of home brew for the people that want to try it out of curiosity.

For the first time tasters i always tell them not to expect a "store bought" kind of taste.

One of my relatives once had a small glass of one of my stout and said "Very interesting" and then took another sip, and went on talking about other matters and discretely abandoned his almost full glass on the counter while we were moving around the house... (had a good laugh about it with my wife when i found the glass lying there after he left). :)

Usually getting very good feedback but i frankly don't really care, as long as i love the stuff, people can have the opinion they want on it and i will definitely not be loosing sleep over this.

abandoned his almost full glass on the counter while we were moving around the house

Yep, it has happened to me more then once, its funny people completely try to become expert magicians also, trying to use slight of hand to avoid drinking the rest until they make a run for the door.

But these are usually the ones with all the fake praise, very annoying. Simple Q&A before hand avoids wasting good home brew.

I have a guy here at work that smuggled bud light on a cruise ship and then onto the shore visit of an island. Because they only served "Budweiser" on the island and had others freaking on him out in the surf asking where he managed to get the bud light. Very sad, this is a person who I do not share with.

That's partly what I was getting at; the people who want to try your brew because it's beer, say they like it when they don't, and then abandon a full bottle or glass.

The other irritation is that you can't get an honest critique out of them. Even if they have no idea how to critique, a simple description of what they don't like can help us determine if the problem is the beer or the drinker. It's like the difference between hearing "too heavy" and "too cidery."

"That stuff is so dark, we can't even get a flashlight to go through it. "

"I only had one of your beers and I am feeling loopy"

"Your beer has too much head"

"Can I have some more"

"Here you go Matt, I have to go back to my coors light"

My five year old son at the counter with me and a sixer of Coors Lite for my BIL on his birthday (he only drinks BMC). Somehow he must of heard me talking to my wife but while at the counter he turns to the cashier and says:

"That stuff is crap. My daddy brews better beer than that! He is buying those for my Uncle Jeff, who knows nothing about beer!"

Ah, the proud moments...

I can only dream of having that moment one day :)

These are OK but I can only drink two before I feel em.
(cause your used to drinking water in a beer can)

In Portland, there aren't any bars that have only BMC, so the standards for your average drinker are a bit higher, but that doesn't mean people can describe taste and their likes/dislikes very well.

My friends know beers pretty well, but don't really have killer tastebuds or the parlance to put it into words, so I still get the "this is intense" or "this is kind of blah" comments that aren't very helpful.

The worst comment I ever got was "This beer is boring" from a friend, on what turned out to be my favorite brew so far (a cascade pale) after dry hopping.

The best was from my boss "This is the best stout I have ever had!" for my pretty damn light Samuel Smith extract clone .

On the funny side of things, every time I talk to my dad, he says "What are you going to do with all that beer, it's a lot of calories!!!!"

Tonight after I gave him more details and explained I gave most of my beer away, his first question was "Are you making any really yeasty beers?"

My dad keeps making this comment about the Hot Chocolate Stout I gave him... Saying he should use it to make his "venison in guinness" recipe.

Uh, Dad...I don't think that's such a great idea. You should probably taste it first.

I think that would work out very nice, i had a chocolate/pepper rubbed venison steak a few days ago and it was great.

Oddly chocolate goes great with most meats.

From the budlight crowd..."This tastes like cold coffee" for any beer I make that is dark in color. If I hear that one more time..:mad:

Back