first beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaganalfII

Reaction score
I just brewed my first beer yesterday, Amber Ale. And there seems to be a lot of matter in the wort it is fermenting nicely.just wondering if it will settle or not before conditioning.

Yes, everything will settle out as the beer ferments. Just be patient and leave it in the primary for at least 2 weeks. If you do feel the need to secondary then wait until you have reached and confirmed FG with at least two of the same readings.

FYI, most people on this site do not secondary and there are a million threads regarding this highly debatable topic so if you are looking for some reading material to kill some time venture into searching the topic and read away:)

Monitor your fermentation temps and you will get some great beer! Cheers and Welcome!

It will settle. Most of it is yeast that will fall out of suspension after active fermentation. You will find a layer of several inches at the bottom of your fermenter.

I have another question. I have some hops to dry hop. Do I just wait until primary fermentation is complete than add the hops. Let it ride out the rest of fermentation.

NaganalfII said:
I have another question. I have some hops to dry hop. Do I just wait until primary fermentation is complete than add the hops. Let it ride out the rest of fermentation.

You can wait until you verify fermentation is complete with 2 of the same readings over 3 days and then either dry hop directly in the primary or rack to secondary, either way is fine.

I dry hop right in the primary since racking to a secondary opens you up to infections. There's NO issue leaving a beer in the primary for 3 or 4 weeks. You should be done fermenting in 15-20 days, then you can dry hop for 4 or 5 and it's ready to carbonate. If you have it, use a nylon bag for dry hopping and put something heavy (and sanitized) in it to submerge the hops. Good Luck!

Back