Wlp830 experience...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redneck82

Reaction score
Doing an over-hopped Helles/German Pils cross (miscalculated IBUs...wups).

OG was 1.050. Plan was to pitch @68F and hold until fermentation started. Unfortunately, I was not able to cool down to 55F until full high krausen (ferm going for a full day and a half @68).

Slowly lowered the temp down further to 41F over the past week in order to keep further diacetyl production at a minimum.

Gravity is currently 1.024. Hydrometer is in ferment and there is still a little foam production- ie not exact reading but it is close.

I plan on raising the temp to 68 again for a d-rest for 3 days. Question is, because I suspect a more than normal (?) amount of diacetyl, should I extend the rest time to 4 or 5 days? Or should I skip the d-rest and extend my lager time by 2-3 weeks? (I was planning about 5 weeks lager time at 34F).

This is only the second time I've used 830 and would appreciate any advice from someone who had used this strain (successfully...:)) before.

Cheers!

Btw, doing a bitter on Sunday. Last 4 batches have been triple decoctions, should be nice to do a 'simple' infusion mash...

I've used this strain for doppelbocks but I pitch low (46-48F) and let the temp ramp up to 50, then hold it there till fermentation activity looks like it has finished. I haven't had a diacetyl problem yet. Do you detect any diacetyl?

Haven't had a tasting yet. I plan on transferring from carboy to corny keg tomorrow, and won't have a chance to taste until then. I just suspect there will be a detectable amount due to early fermentation temps.

I'm just worried all this work might yield a butter-bomb.

Tried pitching cold with this yeast (45 degrees) and it took over a week to start (made a starter, yeast slurry was 6 fl oz for a 5 gal batch, well aerated).

I make a 2 liter starter, pitch when it's at peak activity and it takes off in less than 24 hours.

Back