Concord grape 1 1/2 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnagy

Reaction score
I made a batch of grape wine. I seen a video where a guy blended up his grapes. Anyways i ran it through 2 different strainers and through a nylon straining bag and most of the pulp got through.

OK the question is the wine has a odd odor and has this stuff that's floating around and falling to the bottom of the bottle in the wine wile fermenting and i'm on day 3 of fermenting. Here is a pic click photo to enlarge. Any Idea or that floating stuff ok?

im new and have not seen this myself but from what ive read it should just be the active yeast dont think its anything to worry about

Tiny yeasts colonies sit on the bottom.
Yeasts colonies produce CO2.
Some CO2 form bubbles.
Some bubbles stay attached to yeasts colonies increasing their buoyancy.
Yeast colonies rise up into pulp bits increasing bits buoyancy.
Bits rise up, but decelerate sharply reaching the surface.
Deceleration detach CO2 bubbles from solids.
CO2 bubbles burst on the surface.
Pulp and yeasts fall back to the bottom.
Cycle repeat until fermentables are exhausted.

Color is typical concord and concord hybrids must color.
Adding some wild grapes (river bank) will bring color closer to vitis vinifera must.
Use rubber gloves to pick river bank grape, fruits acidity will irritate and stain hands.

Looks compleately normal to me. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr2AjTZ3WEw]YouTube - Liberty Ale fermenting[/ame] Regards, GF.

What you have is a perfectly natural and highly active fermentation. By day 3 I would expect your wine to be flyin' all over your fermenter.

Relax, and watch it for a while. It's kind of Zen.

I'm only on my 3rd wine , and a few batches of Apfelwein, as well as a new batch of cider. If you really need some reassurance wait for YooperBrew to get back to you.

Your wine looks good to me though!

Welcome to HBT!

OK cool thanks guys. I have done 2 batches of concentrate before and this is my first batch of fresh grapes.

Thanks for the help!
Gnagy

Today i racked the wine and has a really odd odor to it. I'm starting to wonder if the grapes were spoiled. The grapes had some shrinkage little bit wrinkle to the skins. I got them from a co worker who got them from a produce farm and put them in his fridge when he got home.

Back