I want to make a very dry cider - any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
Tried a cider from the store... I'm sure it's not anything special, the coors lt of cider the wine store owner said...
It's called Blackthorn and what I liked was how dry and unsweet it was....
Any tips on how to get something close? Is it the apples? No back sweeting I'm guessing...

Get some nice tasting fresh pressed apple juice, toss in some wine yeast like ec1118, wait 1-2 weeks and voila! Super dry.

I would let it go much longer. We just bottled a cider that we started back in September and the gravity went from 1.050 down to .996. After three weeks of fermentation we thought it was finished because we got two consecutive readings of 1.009. We were planning to let it go longer anyway for conditioning. Three weeks later we noticed new bubbles on the surface and checked the gravity again and it was down to 1.004.

These are our first ciders, but my understanding is that the apple flavors will disappear as the cider dries, and with time they will start to come back, so I don't think 1 to 2 weeks will give you the result that you want. I've read anywhere from three months to a year for a good cider.

If you can get it, give Magner's cider a try. It's my wife's favorite and she doesn't like the sweeter stuff like Woodchuck.

MTate37 said:
If you can get it, give Magner's cider a try. It's my wife's favorite and she doesn't like the sweeter stuff like Woodchuck.

I have actually tried Magner's cider as well as Magner's pear cider And these are still a bit sweet for me....
Not anything like woodchuck, I agree, but still a sweet one for me....

The Blackthorne seem to be the least Sweet cider I have had so far, Or maybe it was the driest so far?

I just basically want a cider that is not too sweet and pretty dry...

Back