Best induction burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been considering getting an an Avantco IC3500 induction burner. Does anyone else use one, particularly with a Bayou Classic 11 gallon kettle?

Just food for thought:With any induction burner you must have a kettle that is magnetic for it to work. If a magnet doesn't stick to your kettle then it won't work with ANY induction cook surface. Most SS vessels are not magnetic from my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just food for thought:With any induction burner you must have a kettle that is magnetic for it to work. If a magnet doesn't stick to your kettle then it won't work with ANY induction cook surface. Most SS vessels are not magnetic from my experience.

Yep, I tested my kettle for that :)

Not the OP, but I'm using that induction range with a 62qt Bayou pot. Does what it's suppose to do. Boils wort.

What size boils and what would you say your times are for heating up from tap to mash temp, and then mash to boil? I think think this is what I am going to end up doing, just trying to research all my options.

Boil volume is usually in the 11 to 12 gallon range. From mash to boil, 30 to 45 minutes depending on pre-boil temperature and volume. My system is three vessle with a 3000W element in a seperate pot as an HLT, so don't know what tap to mash temperature time would be.

It's not fast getting to a boil, but once there I get a good rolling boil with about 5 qts / hr boil-off.

edit:
only picture I could find, can't see the induction range very well, but you get the idea

Boil.jpg

I have two 1300W induction cooktops that I use with 12qt pots. The performance is similar to my electric range. Towards the end of the boil I insulated one of the pots with 3 ½ inches of R-13 fiberglas insulation which roughly doubled my efficiency.

That was my first batch with new induction pots. Next batch I will gather some good data. The magnetic field freaks out my electronic oven thermometers. My pocket digital themometers wouldn’t agree with my glass thermometer. I finally figured out that it was operator error. What I thought was 53C was actually 153F. D’ohh!

I have two 1300W induction cooktops that I use with 12qt pots. The performance is similar to my electric range. Towards the end of the boil I insulated one of the pots with 3 ½ inches of R-13 fiberglas insulation which roughly doubled my efficiency.

That was my first batch with new induction pots. Next batch I will gather some good data. The magnetic field freaks out my electronic oven thermometers. My pocket digital themometers wouldn’t agree with my glass thermometer. I finally figured out that it was operator error. What I thought was 53C was actually 153F. D’ohh!

Yes, it seems insulating the pots make a huge difference! Another question for you "inductioners," is there any concern to using an immersion chiller? In my propane setup i general stick my immersion chiller into the wort with 10-15mins left in the boil. If I did this using an immersion pot, would my chiller be heating up (more than from just sitting in the water) due to the bottom being so close to the magnetic field?

Yes, it seems insulating the pots make a huge difference! Another question for you "inductioners," is there any concern to using an immersion chiller? In my propane setup i general stick my immersion chiller into the wort with 10-15mins left in the boil. If I did this using an immersion pot, would my chiller be heating up (more than from just sitting in the water) due to the bottom being so close to the magnetic field?

Unless your chiller has enough iron content that a magnet would stick to it, I don't think the induction plate would have any effect.

Unless your chiller has enough iron content that a magnet would stick to it, I don't think the induction plate would have any effect.

And I just had one of those moments where I am reminded I'm an idiot :) For some reason I was thinking that since the copper coil (which has electricity running through it) in the induction cooktop has current, my copper chiller would some how pull it haha... :facepalm:

Back