Ardennes yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing with the Ardennes yeast and was wondering if it takes a while to clean itself up?

I had mine in primary at like 68 for two weeks - kegged - then cold crashed for at least 2 weeks its got a real yeasty bready nose - not much in the flavor - flavor is spot on but the nose is very bready

I love the floc on this yeast almost britishlike

jheld00 said:
Please post your recipe

8lbs Pilsner malt
2lbs Wheat malt
1lb sugar
1lb orange blossom honey

Fuggles, goldings, Belma hops

Pretty standard blonde except for honey

I've used the Ardennes yeast at least 10 times. I've fermented with at 70, 75, and 85. I've never gotten any esters/phenols that I would describe as bready. I always get the typical spicy/fruity phenols and esters. I just bottled a stout that I fermented with the Ardennes at 70 for 3 weeks. It smelled great.

What was the attenuation? Also how well did you aerate before pitching? Also did you make a starter or pitch a smack pack?

I had the same type of outcome on one batch. I have used it twice.

The first time was on a BDSA, and I left it in the 2ndary for a couple months before bottling. This batch doesn't have any of that bready/yeasty aroma and is developing more and more of the dark fruit flavors I was hoping for as it has aged.

Then I pitched a Dubbel on part of the yeast cake from that batch. This one came out tasting great. I left it in primary for maybe 3 weeks or so (don't have my notes with me atm). But as I have gone through the batch, that yeasty aroma has increased.

I figured I had just over-pitched by pitching on the yeast cake, even though I had dumped out a good bunch of it. Maybe it just needed more time. I'm not sure.

I did my standard everything with any yeast-no starter, no aeration - never have problems- and there's not a problem with this beer, the flavor is spot on its just the aroma - smells like really young beer but maybe it just needs more time or could be the honey but I doubt it.

....as usual it will probably be amazing in a month right before we kick the keg

Oh and it fermented down to about 1.008

I also pitched the yeast cake on a Belgian IPA so well see with that one - still in primary.

I might have to go back to chimay yeast if do

Back