The Irish Red of 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP028 Edinbugh
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Amber Red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days at 65 max
Tasting Notes
Smooth caramel, toffee, beer!
This recipe originally came on a promo card from White Labs that was in my issue of BYO. I can't recall if I made any changes to the grains or hops, but I did switch out the yeast. It originally called for WLP862 Cry Havoc (someday I'll try this), but I used WLP028 which is a workhorse for me.

Ingredients:
9 lbs. Vienna Malt
12 oz. C60
8 oz. C40
8 oz. C20
2 oz. Roasted Barley 300L
1 oz. Fuggles @60 min.
0.5 oz. EKG @45 min.
0.5 oz. EKG @15 min.

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

This came out better than expected, as I hoped. Smooth, malty but not sweet, and a gorgeous red amber. This beer has no exotic ingredients to make you sit up and take notice; this beer will not interrupt your conversation or make the ten o'clock news. This beer is the comfortable sweatshirt in the back of your closet; the dog resting at your feet; the well earned break at the end of a hard day. I made this beer in anticipation of St. Patrick's Day parties, but I don't think I can make it last that long.

FWIW, this beer sat in primary for nearly seven weeks due to various stresses and activities for the holidays. Also, if anyone has wondered what an all-Vienna base malt would be like, you should mos def try it!

This looks really good, I'm going to give it a bash this weekend.

Just one question, we have really limited (but slowly growing) access to homebrew supplies here in South Arica, and I just want to clarify what the C20/40/60 are? I'm presuming they are crystal malts?
Are there alternatives that would produce similar results from this suppliers list?
http://beerguevara.com/category/brew-ingredients/maltsandgrains/

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

This looks really good, I'm going to give it a bash this weekend.

Just one question, we have really limited (but slowly growing) access to homebrew supplies here in South Arica, and I just want to clarify what the C20/40/60 are? I'm presuming they are crystal malts?
Are there alternatives that would produce similar results from this suppliers list?
http://beerguevara.com/category/brew-ingredients/maltsandgrains/

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

The chateau 130 is the same thing as crystal 60, you could probably substitute the crystal 20 with caramunich 1
Cheers.

Back