To secondary or not to secondary....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentT

Reaction score
Ok things appear to be fermenting well with my first batch, krausen is funky and airlock is bubbling and ill take another hydrometer reading to make sure things are going well.

Now I have to decide what's next.

I've read several opinions about using a secondary and I can't decide if it is the best thing to do or not.mi was hoping for some more opinions.

So should I put it in a secondary and age it cooler ( remember is a black lager) or just keep it as is, any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

That, my friend, is the age-old question. Most folks agree that it's not necessary, and risks oxidizing or infecting your beer.

By all means, lager it if you've got the facilities, but I'd keep it in the same fermenter all the way through till bottling time.

I also move mine to a secondary but that's mainly to free up the primary to brew more beer. I've never had any issues.

Back