pale malt vs 2r base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
I have this recipe for an IPA, it calls for 12.75 pounds of 2 row pale malt, and 14 oz of caramel 60, for a 5 gallon batch.

Is there really a difference if I use Briess 2 row brewers malt intead of the pale malt?

thanks

Depends what you have on hand and how committed you are to staying true to the recipe. Either one will make great beer. I use Rahr 2-row as the base malt in 90% of my beers and have been really satisfied.

I use Pale Malt in all my recipes; unless I'm making something light, then I'm using Pilsner Malt. I found a bit more Flavour in the Pale then 2 row. In my area Briess 2-Row is King, and I have to look hard to find Pale Malt

I never used 2-row but I do know for fact that 55 lbs bag of Superior Pale Ale malt (Canada Malting Co) I use instead, is slightly darker @ 3.0 SRM compare to 2.7 SRM for basic 2-row. I believe there is a taste difference as well but I never compared side-by-side since I been really happy with that Superior Pale Ale malt and use it everywhere where it calls for 2-row or MO. It is kind of between them, not as bread-y as MO thought.

Back