how many people are using gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
I see a lot of posts with people using gelatin to clear there brews. I have never used gelatin. I use Irish moss or whirlfloc tablets and cold crashing. I have only had cloudy beer 1 or 2 times in 3 years. Just want to hear others results and experiences.

Yes, no, sometimes.
Im at batch 9 in about 5 months.

1: Irish Moss, no gel, no cold crash.. Primary and secondary.. Clear beer.
2: Irish Moss, gel, no cold crash.. Primary Clear beer.
3: Irish Moss, gel, cold crash.. Primary Clear beer.
4: Irish Moss, no gel, cold crash.. Primary Clear beer.
5: Irish Moss, gel, no cold crash.. Primary Clear beer.
6: Irish Moss, no gel, cold crash.. Primary Clear beer.
7: Irish Moss, no gel, cold crash.. Primary Clear beer.
8: Irish Moss, //still fermenting
9: Irish Moss, //still fermenting
10: Brewing tomorrow... no idea what I''ll use.. This one is wheat beer.. so........

I've been using it for a while on my pale/amber/brown beers, anything I should be able to see through. I use whirlfloc in the kettle, cold crash, and gelatin in the keg. After a quick force carb (~3 days) I am getting pretty clear beer, after another week of cold conditioning, my beer sparkles. I highly recommend using gelatin.

If your kegging, its so cheap why not?

You can get enough gelatin to last you a year of brewing for only a few dollars.

If your bottling to me its too much work.

I use it when kegging right after racking the cold beer (that's been cold-crashed 5-7 days in the primary) into the keg.

It's easy to let the gel do it's magic over the next two weeks while the beer carbs (at 12 psi).

I also use whirlfoc @ 10 min and let the wort trub settle 15-20 minutes after chilling too. I like clear beer.

If your kegging, its so cheap why not?

You can get enough gelatin to last you a year of brewing for only a few dollars.

If your bottling to me its too much work.

No difference in work ... You don't put it in each bottle :ban:

The gel can go in the primary a few days before moving to bottling bucket, or if you secondary, use the gel then.

I just started using it based upon advice here. Worked great. As I don't always have the ability to cold crash, it's nice to have super cheap options... just don't use too much.... 5-7gr (normal single packet size) for a corny.

I use it in every beer that I want crystal clear. Works perfect. I also use whirlfloc tablets, and cold crash . I usually get crystal clear beer on tap within 2 weeks from brewday.

I use gelatin in secondary, so it's all clear when it goes in the keg. I force carbonate. It's so clear my friends won't believe I don't use a filter hahaha.

Cheers !

I use Irish Moss in the keggle, then I ferment for 2 weeks, cold crash in the fermenter for 1 week, and auto siphon to the keg filtering through a nylon stocking zip tied to the auto siphon hose.

I tried Gelatin once, but it clogged my keg pickup tube with goop, so I no longer use it

My beers are very clear, because I cold condition in the keg for 30 days or more. I usually have to throw out the first couple of pints, and when the keg is done there will be some sediment in the center of the bottom, but not much.

Back