Immersion Wort Chiller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barroomhero1234

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen

I am building a chiller and was wondering if maybe half a foot of coil will not be submerged in my boil to get sanitized should I be worried. I could possibly change my design to that its wider and thus shorter and sitting in the wort.

Thanks for your help
Scott

Yeah, I have enough feet of coil to cool the wort.
I am more worried about the lack of sanitization from the boil if its not submerged.

The copper will raise to sterilization temperature whether it is wet or not. If that's the concern, then put it out of your mind. Just curious, how many feet of copper did you use? Did you wrap it wicked narrow?

Just place your chiller into a bucket of starsan before you place it in your boil kettle. I even spray down all the parts that never see wort, like the riser parts of the tube all the way to the hose connector. The other nice thing about using starsan is that it chemically removes the copper oxides from the outside of the chiller that would normally end up in your wort.

Narrow makes more sense anyway... It gives more flow around both sides of the coil. My stainless monstrosity in the thread below this one almost touches the sides of my pot, but it still does a crazy job.

Latest posts

Back