Rectangular cooler for MLT??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcap

Reaction score
Have several rectangular coolers as tenants seem to shed them regularly when moving. The thing I really like is that I have a piece of slotted SS that was once used to drain fat after deep frying food that fits a couple of the coolers nearly perfectly. It seems to me that it would work very nicely to hold the grain beds above the drain--fits tightly @ 1/2" to an inch above the bottom. Slots are 1/8" wide & 3/4" long W/ 1/8" between. Would this be a feasible system to begin trying all grain brewing, or is something of this shape completely untenable. Thanks for any input/suggestions.

It sounds like you want to use the slotted SS sheet as a false bottom. You'd want to support it somehow, and it really needs to fit well around the sides to make sure you don't get a lot of grain by that way. 1/8" holes may work OK, but that's probably on the large end of what you'd want. The grain will create a filter for itself, but you don't want to allow much grain through the slits, or it will take forever for the runnings to be clear of grain particles.

Latest posts

Back