What size upright freezer do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrusbt

Reaction score
I'm just getting started and I've found a few threads on chest freezer sizes, but not uprights and since things will fit a bit differently between I need some help. I know a lot of people will say go with a chest, but I think I've decided to go with an upright freezer. Really it boils down to a few things.
1. The footprint - (the main reason) I have a very suitable place in the garage for an upright - a chest would be much harder to fit (unless it was smaller).
2. I don't plan to convert to a keezer. I plan on bottling initially and since I don't host as much as I used to, I don't expect I'll be kegging beer anytime soon as I need to be able to take the beer easily where I go.
3. Ease - it just seems easier than a chest for loading purposes, etc. I know the concern about losing all the cool air when you open the door, but while some cool air will be lost I really doubt the 5 gallon mass of liquid will cool that quickly. Additionally I don't think the door will be open very often.

So, I'm loooking on craigslist and I don't want to buy anything that's too small. I went to home depot to get a better idea on size and saw an upright that was about 14 cubic feet. Seems decent, but not having the equipment yet it was still hard to picture if that was appropriate or a tad small. A chest that size will fit a couple 5 gallon batches from what I understand. Will a typical upright? Looking at the one at home depot I wasn't sure. I plan on storing most of by bottles in there too so I'll need some extra room. I appreciate your help/thoughts.

delete....sorry misread your question and answered as if it was a normal chest freezer. I don't know much about the uprights....sorry!

I have a 14cf upright freezer and I can fit 4 of my 6.5 gal fermenting buckets in there. Most of the time I don't have 4 batches in there at once, but it has happened before and will happen again. I recommend a 14cf upright if not larger.

Please note that there are 2 different types of upright freezers, natural draft and forced draft. The natural draft type freezer is not what you want because the evaporator is the shelves themselves which cannot be moved or removed to accomodate different sized fermenters or kegs. To determine the type a natural draft freezer has no internal fan, the condenser coil is on the back of the unit, the shelves are not movable/removable, it costs less, and is not 'frost free'.

Thanks DFC - good to know a 14 ft freezer can fit that much. Next time I see one that size or larger at a price I like on CL, I'll jump at it. Thanks Mike for the heads-up on the coils in the shelves. I was aware of that but that's crucial info for anyone converting a freezer who might read this in the future.
:mug:

The best way to tell is to trace the size of the footprint of what you are planning to put in the freezer on to some paper. Cut out the footprints and then take them to lay in the to be purchased item and you will be able to tell exactly what will fit. Be sure to note hight. My 14 foot frig will fit only two fermenters at a time.

Latest posts

Back