Oak and vanilla bean delima!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
So I brewed up an attempted clone batch of Kentucky bourbon barrel ale about two and a half weeks ago..... It finished fermenting in about 7 days so I racked it on top of 1 oz of med roasted French oak chips and two vanilla beans that had been soaking in bourbon for the duration of primary. I didn't dump in the bourbon with the chips and beans because I could really smell the strong presence of the oak in the whiskey. It has been in secondary now for 10 days, and I am not sure how long I should leave it on the oak... I was originally going to do a 21 day secondary but I am getting nervous about over oaking this beer. My wife and I leave for vacation next Thursday and I was considering cutting my secondary back to 14 days and bottling this beer on this upcoming monday. What do you guys think?

Take a sample. An ounce of oak for 21 days was perfect for my taste buds, yours may vary.

I tools sample at the beginning of this week but that green beer taste kinda covered up everything else.

Ah, gotcha. My thinking on going oaked for 21 days was that i could always age it down if it got too heavy, but I couldnt put more oak taste back into it if I didnt leave it long enough.

After 5 weeks from brewday, there wasnt much green left in the porter. It was there, but I had to look for it.

Back