Floaters! Oh no

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George7845

Reaction score
Three to four weeks in secondary, going to bottle soon and i took a look at my cider and has this off white crap floating in it! I used raw cider which i hit with campden, then i pitched red star champagne yeast, also added cinnamon stick and cloves. It spent one week in primary, 3-4 in secondary, and this seems like it popped up recently cause ive been watching. I hope it is yeast, but i am worried! Will champagne yeast float sometimes? or is this some stupid infection?
Here are some pics below.

cider_residue_004.JPG

cider_residue_003.JPG

cider_residue_001.JPG

well folks, i believe i answered my own question. This morning i woke up to vibrations, not noise, i thought there was a large piece of construction equipment outside.... Literally while in bed i opened my eyes and my main focus was blurred from shaking probably because the bed was shaking not the room. Well anyways it was my neighbors washer which seemed to come off balance, my room and my cider/beer in hallway is pretty close to the wall where their washer is. Later this afternoon i did some investigating... I put a light low on my better bottle with cider in it. I noticed there is a crack in the yeast cake! So im pretty positive the vibrations broke the yeast cake putting some of it back into suspension. It does look alot like yeast cake too, off white/yellow chunks, kinda like a clean booger and an infection you would think it would all be mended or tied together unlike what i have, separated booger chunks. In Conclusion im 80% positive it is yeast and not infection, meaning i can sleep tonight!

Question now is, should i coffee filter end of auto siphon to keep yeast out?, cause i did intend on racking to sorbate/campden, then bottling this weekend.

Back