Gravity points from fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmarvel

Reaction score
Here's my situation. I am making an offshoot of Mad elf and I want to use raspberries instead of cherries (yes i know, seeds shouldn't get in it). I was told that it is better to add my extra fermentables (honey and fruit) in the fermenter. So I can't just calculate my change in gravity to estimate alcohol. I need to know roughly how many gravity points I am getting from my honey, malt extract and raspberry puree. I know the first 2, but I need to know how many gravity points I am going to get per ounce of fruit in a 5 gallon batch. Google searches haven't been much help. Thanks in advance.

(I know there isn't an exact # because all fruit is different, but I guess I am looking for an average).

Honey accodring to beersmith has a contributing gravity of 1.035 ppg. So if you use 1# of honey in one gallon you have a starting gravity of 1.035. The fruit is much harder because the can differ greatly. I tried to calculate it once by heating a 1/4 pound of rasberries in 1/4 gallon of water until they broke down and taking the gravity. I cant remeber what the contributing sugar was but it was fairly low, 1.009 ish if i recall. Ill have to take a look through my old threads. I dont know how accurate that was but it made sense in my head. Good luck

Thanks. I also found a couple of older posts on here about using fruit to boost gravity. I am just going to calculate everything without the fruit. I ended up using blackberries too, which apparently have significantly more sugar than raspberries.

when I need to know SG for fruit or honey additions I use the mead calculator at gotmead.com. I've used it around six times and so far the information has been very accurate. It can be a little tricky to use but once you figure it out its pretty handy for things like this.

So I'm starting to put my honey into my carboy. Since I didn't add everything all at once, I'm going to have to estimate an OG. So I put 3 lbs of honey into a calculator I have online (not beersmith) and it's telling me that it's only going to give me 21 gravity points. This isn't even close to what I'm reading from other sources. What be up with thats?

when I need to know SG for fruit or honey additions I use the mead calculator at gotmead.com. I've used it around six times and so far the information has been very accurate. It can be a little tricky to use but once you figure it out its pretty handy for things like this.

Not going to lie, that calculator is confusing at first. That's coming from someone who is a chemical engineer with tons of programming and HMI experience. Took a bit, but I figured it out. Thanks for sharing that with the community. There is a surprising lack of information on fruit additions here on HBT. Seems like everyone uses BeerSmith for their fruit gravity calcs part and parcel, so it makes it difficult for us Brewer's Friend users out there.

Back