Time to take the plunge... Single Tier Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
Well, I've been doing some serious thinking about space, repeatability, and the overall process of my brew day. A friend of mine has the ability to get me some steel tubing at or below cost. Since I already have a March Pump and I'm having good luck with batch sparging (80% efficiency on average) I'm going to start a single tier build. I will outline absolutely everything for this build including the wiring of EACH component, installation, cut sheet for the steel, and I will make a running count on cost. FYI- I do get a lot of fittings for almost free (work salvage) so some of my costs will be referenced off Ebay or other vendors.

single_tier.jpg

I spent the day figuring out google sketch up to draw out my plans. This will most likely be built from 2"x2" steel tubing. If things change I will alter the design for anyone that may want to follow. I'll keep posting as I get things together.

I'd keep the legs shorter...you'll want to be able to reach and/or see into the kettles on top of the stand. Even if you are 6 feet tall, stirring the mash or looking into a mashtun or kettle would be hard to do. Keep in mind you'll more than likely be adding casters to that as well, which means even more height.

IMHO for this design 2x2" is overkill. I've just built a larger 2-tier design out of 1.5"x1.5" 1/8" wall stainless (more along the lines of a Brew-magic) and the proportions are perfect, the structure ultra-rigid. You really don't need 2x2.

Well, I've been doing some serious thinking about space, repeatability, and the overall process of my brew day. A friend of mine has the ability to get me some steel tubing at or below cost. Since I already have a March Pump and I'm having good luck with batch sparging (80% efficiency on average) I'm going to start a single tier build. I will outline absolutely everything for this build including the wiring of EACH component, installation, cut sheet for the steel, and I will make a running count on cost. FYI- I do get a lot of fittings for almost free (work salvage) so some of my costs will be referenced off Ebay or other vendors.

single_tier.jpg

I spent the day figuring out google sketch up to draw out my plans. This will most likely be built from 2"x2" steel tubing. If things change I will alter the design for anyone that may want to follow. I'll keep posting as I get things together.

i like the drawing, i wish i had a 3D image to look at, i went with a 25'' tall frame and ended up with the casters 30.5''

i know i don't have a lot of posts but if you need any numbers from me i just went through the process in 1 month start to finish

Nick

IMHO for this design 2x2" is overkill. I've just built a larger 2-tier design out of 1.5"x1.5" 1/8" wall stainless (more along the lines of a Brew-magic) and the proportions are perfect, the structure ultra-rigid. You really don't need 2x2.

so how is 1.5 x 1.5 1/8'' less than 2 x 2 1/16''

you have 25% more area and half the thickness and more surface area for strength

Nick

This is just a rough drawing ATM... As far as 2x2 goes, I'll take whatever is FREE. If I were paying for steel, I'd probably choose 1x1 @ .12" thickness, however I can't complain when it comes to FREE.

I think that it looks tight, regardless of what anyone sayes... I love it. Build on.:D

I probably will shorten it, however I'm still not really sure why anyone would have issues with 2x2 steel...

I understand there comments about 2x2 being overkill, But it's free! I'd use I-Beams if they were free! okay a bit of an exaggeration ...

Yeah, or drive the kids to daycare while you are brewing... (if you have that sort of problem)... think of the freedom!

I COULD put a motor on it... but I'd be scared as hell to hit the brakes during the boil... As for weight, this will be put on casters, and its not like I'm bringing it backpacking...

I have been thinking of putting a car stereo on my brew rig,like the snap-on tool boxes. Maybe this is putting the cart before the horse and I need the engine first.

I have two scooters I parted out from my younger sisters. Ha, If I ever get a rig I could totally put them on there, I could just imagine it.. Aww man, I was gonna brew today, but the battery on my rig is dead and now it won't start!

Ok, skipping the overkill factor, you should look at the two top short kettle supports. If you only use two, the pots have to share like armrests at a movie theater. You probably want to double them up so you can have a little space between vessels.

brewstandburnertest.jpg

As for weight, this will be put on casters, and its not like I'm bringing it backpacking...

Okay man, just trying to help. I know you'll never come back here to this thread after it is built and tell us you wish you would have kept the weight down, but to each his own....

If suggestions were taboo you should have said so, I wouldn't have wasted my time helping.

I kinda liked the backpacking analogy...

My rig is HEAVY too... especially with the vessels full of fluid and grain. But it still rolls easy.

Okay man, just trying to help. I know you'll never come back here to this thread after it is built and tell us you wish you would have kept the weight down, but to each his own....

If suggestions were taboo you should have said so, I wouldn't have wasted my time helping.

I'm always open for suggestions. If I can get 1x1 or 1.5x1.5, I'll definitely go for it. I was just trying to explain my mentality as far as the weight goes. I'm also building this for the possibility of going to larger batch sizes at some point.

Also, as for the center supports, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to use for kettle supports. I like what nicksteck did with his supports, but I'm not sure I want to lay out cash to get something like that made...

I'll second that on the 2x2. I'm building a nearly identical stand right now out of 1.5x1.5x.120 and it is really, really heavy. If weight isn't a consideration and the stock is cheap though... hell... why not?! :)

I'm always open for suggestions. If I can get 1x1 or 1.5x1.5, I'll definitely go for it. I was just trying to explain my mentality as far as the weight goes. I'm also building this for the possibility of going to larger batch sizes at some point.

Also, as for the center supports, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to use for kettle supports. I like what nicksteck did with his supports, but I'm not sure I want to lay out cash to get something like that made...

For the kettle supports on mine, I am just cutting some 3" long pieces of the same stock and having them protrude perpendicularly from each of the inner sides of the hole that is below each keg - a total of 12 in all. It leaves a hole in the center to allow flame, etc. to get up there, but keeps the kettle from falling through. At least that's the plan. :)

For the kettle supports on mine, I am just cutting some 3" long pieces of the same stock and having them protrude perpendicularly from each of the inner sides of the hole that is below each keg - a total of 12 in all. It leaves a hole in the center to allow flame, etc. to get up there, but keeps the kettle from falling through. At least that's the plan. :)

Do you think that will support them efficiently? Don't forget how much liquid will be in those pots during a 10 gallon batch!

single_tier.jpg

the size of the top of your rig is the same as mine right down to the inch, geat minds must think alike,

i did discover the other day when i was heating water in a mega pot that the way i built my kettle supports work good with kegs but with a flat bottom pot you end up with cold spots in 4 corners because the bracket keeps the flames away. not a problem for me and my kegs but most flat bottom pots would have cold spots.

I decided to start building a Lonnie Mac Brutus Clone, (Alenuts.com and BYOmagazine NOV. 2007)last week and am 80% complete. Your design is close but overkill on the vertical supports. Use one vertical in the middle and 4 on top horizontal, I made 3 , 12.5inch squares for my kegs. Look at Brotherhood brewery's blog. Google it. He did an awesome job and has a great drawing in pdf. 2x2's is the way to go because you can add components easily by just drilling and tapping into the frame. Thanks also to BobbyM and his website (suebob.com) for his burner support beam and all the other amazing stuff. I supported my from the top which will allow me to adjust the burners vertically. Also, He has stuff for sale,I got my sight glasses today. The weld job took 4 hours on 2x2 steel. Get building!

I'd go with overkill too. I'm building mine out of 2" angle (1/8" thick) and it's 6 ft long with no middle supports. no issues with weight support.

Obviously, use whatever material is on hand, but i think you can avoid the middle supports and use them on top.

If I'm building this stand, I'm building it once, so that I can upgrade to 27 gallon pots later on. Because of that added weight, I'm going with something a little over kill... I'll post the new frame later today...

frame_with_kegs.bmp

This is the design I will most likely be going with. I'm going to see my buddy today about the welding. Since this system may be used as a pilot brewery for a friends business, I may have to go with stainless steel. I haven't decided on my pump mounting yet, so those are there for effect right now until I decide on my control panel system. I will be doing an electric HLT with a Herms coil and a gas boil kettle. The kegs are going to the welder today to have the final couplers welded in. Next, I'll be designing "Sumo's" two-tier pyramid system.

It is funny that we are talking about "overkill" on the supports.

Anthony... THIS ENTIRE RIG is overkill and unnecessary! You can just get a pot, buy some pre-hopped extract and ferment in milk jugs. Who do you think you are? You elitist brewing whore! This thing is completely unnecessary and will not make your beer better, or your "member" seem longer.

This is all overkill... time to get back to your roots. :D

Sincerely,
The Pol
(never mind my avatar)

Hehehe... Consider my rig nearly the same as yours once it's done. If it won't make my "member" any bigger, than I'll have to talk to my welder about that! I dont think there is any better pickup line than, "my member is hard as steel, completely stainless and 100% sanitary"

Hehehe... Consider my rig nearly the same as yours once it's done. If it won't make my "member" any bigger, than I'll have to talk to my welder about that! I dont think there is any better pickup line than, "my member is hard as steel, completely stainless and 100% sanitary"

That is classic... that will live on forever.

Latest posts

Back