I have to blow off some steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
I live in Texas and everyone who lives in this state know how retarded the TABC and the alcohol laws are in this state. Hell they dont even treat wineries and breweries the same. Yeah they are totally different yet make alcohol. So yesterday I try to order some brews i cant get here on a website that is located in St. louis which is close and can get relatively quick. I got some great brews i was really excited for until they cancelled my order and said they cant ship to Texas. They were nice about it and i have no grudge with them but come on Texas why do you have to be such an a-hole. They told me it was off and on with texas. They were told it was alright then all of the sudden get a cease shipping letter. Bi-polar indeed. I wonder if it is easier to ship alcohol along other state lines easier. Hell i'll pay a little extra so i can get those beers or have the opportunity to try beers I'm unable to get in this state. i am hoping the laws will change to make it a little bit easier to aquire other breweries beer without traveling thousands of miles to get them.

Ok end of rambiling.. I wish I had those beers in my hand.

DP

Do a little beer trading. I do it all the time with friends I know around the country. I hook them up with local regional brews and they do likewise. UPS and Fedex allow you to mail liquids if boxed and shipped properly.

Besides, you wouldn't be mailing beer. Oh no. You'd be mailing yeast samples.

I haven't read the Texas laws on beer but, i'm willing to bet they were written to protect beer distributors and local interests. Having lived near Houston for a while, Texas is a weird assed state in many, many ways....

I am in the same boat. The two beer on top of head that I want but can't get, pliney the elder and 120 min IPA. Texas is a terrible beer state. I wish we could also change the law to allow breweries to sell beer at the brewery. I love to open one with a taste room.

Yeah Oklahoma is just bizarre and why I head up to Missouri for beer runs since there sure as hell ain't jack in Arkansas.
Yeah I totally agree. I went to this years chilli bowl in Tulsa OK, and I was dumb founded when i discovered that the only cold beer that you could buy was 3.2 % abv. It was weird.

You can take a tour of texas breweries and Try "free" samples of their beer. I love this state and been here all my life and just now really getting into the beer scene. I always like tho try new things. Sadly i dont know many people out of state or people into beer like i am and everyone on this site. Sadly its not the northeast where 30 mins you can be in another state. Texas is huge and it takes 3 hours to get into lousiana from Houston and 12 hrs to get to new mexico. I need to start some trading and getting some different beers. Just dont know where to start.

aiptasia your right. These huge national breweries do have a stranglehold on this state and deminish very good and unique breweries from coming in or ordering beer from a website. I can get some Jester King and beers around here. Karbach just started canning or just take a roadtrip and stock up

I wish we could have brew pubs like Denver has, it seems so awesome.

I haven't tried jester king yet, I keep walking by it at HEB, but one day I will try it.

There is one about to open in Humble called City Acre about to open up. Definitely get a bottle of Jester King. Its my favorite brewery. I'll be going there Saturday for their Danish Festival.

I wish too. I've been hearing about brew pubs in Denver, California. There is a few in the Austin/San Antonio area but not in Houston yet. Freetails in SA was talking but it didnt work out

DisturbdChemist said:
There is one about to open in Humble called City Acre about to open up. Definitely get a bottle of Jester King. Its my favorite brewery. I'll be going there Saturday for their Danish Festival.

I wish too. I've been hearing about brew pubs in Denver, California. There is a few in the Austin/San Antonio area but not in Houston yet. Freetails in SA was talking but it didnt work out

You can't buy beer to take with you from these brewpubs right?

You can't buy beer to take with you from these brewpubs right?

Thats the ass backwards in texas. Breweries cant sell on site but can sell in stores. Brewpubs can sell on site but cant sell in stores or "distribute". If the brew pub bottles you can get a bottle. Most of the time they will have growlers you can fill and bring back time and time again. So you can take some home with you. The new bar in Westhiemer called Hay Merchant has growlers you can fill with anything they have on tap and Whole foods on waugh and dallas has it too. :mug:

Bubbachunk

Oh i can find some good beer in my area from local breweries and more and more are popping up (hopefully mine some day lol). I'm enjoying these beers and hoping to get a pint of their newest one. Live Oak in Austin has one in the top 50 on Beer advocate. Sucks they dont bottle

Freetail is up and running and doing very well! They have a pretty solid selection of beer. You can purchase a growler of whatever they have on tap and take it home. The only issue is, they cannot sell off of their place of business. Being a brewpub takes away their ability to sell their products to retail and c-stores.

And what's going on at Jester King? I haven't seen any news about any festivals or tastings over St. Paddys Day weekend, but that sounds interesting.

It's their Danish Day festival. They are releasing their second jester/mikkeller collaboration called Weasel Rodeo along with other mikkeller beers and their offerings. I'll be in Austin Friday grabing beers and drinking till sunday. My birthday is saturday and i have to be irish and drink all day. :mug: Next time i'm in San Antonio i'm hitting up freetails definitely.

I went to their one year anniversery and had a blast.

A few friends and myself did a tour of their brewery (along with Thirsty Planet and Independence on the same day) and really enjoyed their setup. They have a great brewing location on what looks like an old equestrian center.

Either way, after touring 3 breweries in the same day, we weren't feeling much pain leaving Jester King.

When i was going to their brewery I stopped at Thirsty because it was right there. I loved their location and it was a great day though the lines were so long. Once you got your beer you stand in line for your next one. I hoping to tour Hops and grains friday then thirsty/jester sat. It difficult to tour all these breweries. Some are only certain saturdays and others are the same time and i wont make it by myself haha

I am in the same boat. The two beer on top of head that I want but can't get, pliny the elder and 120 min IPA. Texas is a terrible beer state. I wish we could also change the law to allow breweries to sell beer at the brewery. I love to open one with a taste room.
Despite some rather idiotic laws, Texas is a decent beer state. Go to an HEB Central Market or Whole Foods. The beer selection is rather amazing. Dogfish Head does distribute to Texas, and I've bought their 120 Minute IPA several times in San Antonio. Unfortunately, Russian River does not distribute to Texas, so you're out of luck there.

As was mentioned above, Oklahoma is downright awful. Even Pennsylvania, despite its geographic advantage with regard to great breweries, is a pretty crappy place to buy beer (no grocery store sales, huge markups for carry out at bars/restaurants, and otherwise stuck with buying cases at a distributor).

As for Oregon...great beer...why can't I pump my own gas?

Every state in the union has unique and crappy laws. Having traveled a lot, I found the TABC goofy, but not crippling.

TABC is going off some old dated laws but we are slowly getting them changed what Jester King and Jax did a few months back. I havent seen 120 before down here but i'm not complaining about the selection i have just want to try others i havent seen or highly regarded beers i have read about. Spec's downtown houston off smith is an awesome place to pick up brews. I picked up several dogfish but not every one of them makes it down here or where i look. Actually I had 120 in galveston. It was at Yaga's Chili and beer festival. They had it on keg and $5 a pint i wasnt complaining or feeling anything after two of them

Yuri_Rage said:
Despite some rather idiotic laws, Texas is a decent beer state. Go to an HEB Central Market or Whole Foods. The beer selection is rather amazing. Dogfish Head does distribute to Texas, and I've bought their 120 Minute IPA several times in San Antonio. Unfortunately, Russian River does not distribute to Texas, so you're out of luck there.

As was mentioned above, Oklahoma is downright awful. Even Pennsylvania, despite its geographic advantage with regard to great breweries, is a pretty crappy place to buy beer (no grocery store sales, huge markups for carry out at bars/restaurants, and otherwise stuck with buying cases at a distributor).

As for Oregon...great beer...why can't I pump my own gas?

Every state in the union has unique and crappy laws. Having traveled a lot, I found the TABC goofy, but not crippling.

Good call for the pumping gas! Growing up here I thought it was awesome. Then I went to college out of state. Now I get upset with how long it takes to get gas sometimes. Oh well, it's worth it for living in a great beer state. Also, no sales tax!

I was pretty sure that although DFH distributes to Texas I have never seen 120 listed under Texas. Not saying yall are full of it, but I don't believe it till I see it.

If someone will point me to info on how to properly ship beer, I'd be more than happy to do a beer trade with you! I'm in the Portland, OR area so I have access to all of the (subjectively) best beers in the country.

MisterPhoton said:
If someone will point me to info on how to properly ship beer, I'd be more than happy to do a beer trade with you! I'm in the Portland, OR area so I have access to all of the (subjectively) best beers in the country.

Don't tell them what is in it. I work for UPS and I am amazed what gets shipped inappropriately (or illegally), but personally I don't care what is in the box.

I have seen people use dividers made for shipping bottles, but they can be kind of expensive. Just wrap the bottles individually with bubble wrap and use some tape or packing material to keep the bottles from hitting each other. Then fill the box so it is full of the items and packing material.

The thing that causes most damaged boxes is inappropriate or lack of packing material like packing peanuts to support the sides of the box.

Hope that helps.

I'm up to trade some brews. Just give me a PM.

What i usually do is wrap each bottle with bubble wrap. Tie them together either with tape or rubber band. i usually put the beers in a garbage bag so if they do break they wont get everywhere. I just get a generic box at office depot and pack it tight so they wont move that much. hopefully it will weight less than the max on my kitchen scale. If it does, get a label online and just have to drop it off with no questions asked

Dude I live in MA.

We can't even get new magazines for our AKs and ARs here. Let alone mail-order ammo.

I feel your pain in the "WE DON'T SHIP THERE!!@%%!!!" mess. :(

DisturbdChemist said:
what makes us mad is that every state has a different law and rules about everything. We will never know them all

Well that goes into whole different subject. Lol

pernox said:
Dude I live in MA.

We can't even get new magazines for our AKs and ARs here. Let alone mail-order ammo.

I feel your pain in the "WE DON'T SHIP THERE!!@%%!!!" mess. :(

We definitely don't have a gun/ammo issue here. I think all my friends have guns. Mostly pistols and shotguns, but there are some AKs and some service rifles with night scopes and stuff.

Even Pennsylvania, despite its geographic advantage with regard to great breweries, is a pretty crappy place to buy beer (no grocery store sales, huge markups for carry out at bars/restaurants, and otherwise stuck with buying cases at a distributor).

You sure? I was driving through Wilkes-Barre a few weeks ago and picked up a couple six packs of Nugget Nectar at Wegmans. They also sell it at gas stations!

That's nothing compared to Connecticut. No sales past 9 PM (used to be 8 PM, and some stores still abide by it), and no sales at all on Sunday. Massachusetts is the worst for shipping laws though. You can't get anything that has alcohol in it shipped to you.

Michigan laws are by far the best I've experienced. You can buy beer, wine, and liquor at grocery stores, beer at gas stations, the only time you can't buy it is like 3 am to 6 am or something like that.

In Texas they sell beer and wine in grocery stores not liquor. Beer and wine you can buy until 1 and 2 on Saturday and can't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays. Just liquor is kinda moderated. 10-9 Mon to sat and close on sun. I just make sure I get my booze early so I don't have to worry lol

DisturbdChemist said:
In Texas they sell beer and wine in grocery stores not liquor. Beer and wine you can buy until 1 and 2 on Saturday and can't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays. Just liquor is kinda moderated. 10-9 Mon to sat and close on sun. I just make sure I get my booze early so I don't have to worry lol

This would not be if there weren't deep rooted religion here. I don't want to turn this into a religious debate but seriously, stuff like this is bs. Government shouldn't force religious belief ("way of life") onto its people.

I live in Texas and everyone who lives in this state know how retarded the TABC and the alcohol laws are in this state. Hell they dont even treat wineries and breweries the same. Yeah they are totally different yet make alcohol. So yesterday I try to order some brews i cant get here on a website that is located in St. louis which is close and can get relatively quick. I got some great brews i was really excited for until they cancelled my order and said they cant ship to Texas. They were nice about it and i have no grudge with them but come on Texas why do you have to be such an a-hole. They told me it was off and on with texas. They were told it was alright then all of the sudden get a cease shipping letter. Bi-polar indeed. I wonder if it is easier to ship alcohol along other state lines easier. Hell i'll pay a little extra so i can get those beers or have the opportunity to try beers I'm unable to get in this state. i am hoping the laws will change to make it a little bit easier to aquire other breweries beer without traveling thousands of miles to get them.

Ok end of rambiling.. I wish I had those beers in my hand.

DP

my only comment... if you only knew the kind of restrictions we had in ontario (canada).. you would be plenty happy

ALL alcohol sale is heavily gov't regulated.. we can ONLY buy beer in either THE BEER STORE (which is owned by big breweries, (no craft beers).).. or from the LCBO (liqour control board of ontario)...

we pay around 13 bucks for a 6pk of anything craft..

beer/alcohol is NOT sold anywhere else.. legally

This just kinda made me mad because they sent me an email saying its in process then sent a canceled one. Now i know Texas is not the most anal about the alcohol, we all get frustrated especially when they tell these business yes then turn around and said no or else.

Disclaimer: not true for all 50 states: Most of these internet stores don't sell to certain states because the work is upon them to file sales with that state and pay the excise taxes to that state. Not worth the bother. It's really not Texas' fault, it's the internet store/shipper who doesn't want to go to the trouble of filing all the paperwork for everywhere. (can't say I blame 'em!)

Back