Thoughts on Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
A porter recipe i put together this morning. Seem like it should be ok?

3.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.42 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.36 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 3.03 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash at 158*

oops.. sorry bout that.

1.051 Est OG
1.013 Est FG

24.1 SRM

28.1 IBU

5 gallon batch

Probably will turn out pretty good! Everything seems to match guidelines.

Personally, I don't want my porter smelling like hops, so that aroma hop may be a little off -- but that's a personal call. Troeg's porter from PA reeks of cascade IPA - and personally i thought it sucked.

But .5 oz shouldn't be overboard.

After trying every porter I could find at the GABF....I've decided that they should ALL be aged in a burbon barrel for 19 or more months.

Or bottles with a shot of burbon in each bottle :rockin:

After trying every porter I could find at the GABF....I've decided that they should ALL be aged in a burbon barrel for 19 or more months.

Or bottles with a shot of burbon in each bottle :rockin:

lol

I'm more making this one for my girl than me. She's not a fan of anything to outside the box.

Probably will turn out pretty good! Everything seems to match guidelines.

Personally, I don't want my porter smelling like hops, so that aroma hop may be a little off -- but that's a personal call. Troeg's porter from PA reeks of cascade IPA - and personally i thought it sucked.

But .5 oz shouldn't be overboard.

I like mildly hoppy porter's, but yea, i don't want it to be overbearing.

Think i should maybe push it out to 10 min?

I do a flavor and aroma addition in my robust porter, neither of them are very strong at all. It is really more to add another layer of complexity than anything, but since you are not using any black malt in yours it might come through stronger. I would either add black malt to your existing recipe, maybe a 1/4lb, or remove the aroma hop. I use that much black malt in mine and have to dry hop to get the hops to come through.

I prefer my porters quite a bit more bitter than what you have there. I would shoot for a BU:SG ratio of about 0.9, give or take a tenth...doubling your bittering addition should do nicely.

I like bitter, but the SWMBO likes hers a tad more on the sweet/malty side.

I think i might just push the last addition to 10 min to cut back on aroma but to add a tad more flavor.

I like bitter, but the SWMBO likes hers a tad more on the sweet/malty side.

I think i might just push the last addition to 10 min to cut back on aroma but to add a tad more flavor.
Good idea, that should be an excellent brown porter, I use safale 04 in my brown porter and love it.

sounds good.

i read in Designing Great Beers that an english style yeast was a good choice and since i've been having luck with S-05, i decided to give the 4 a while.

thanks for the info

Back