Wyeast 1028 temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedubxj

Reaction score
Brewed up a 1.082 christmas ale this past saturday. It fermented like crazy in my ferm chamber (sitting between 65 and 68f the whole time). The chamber is in my garage, and even though we've had some nights in the low 40s here, the temp stayed pretty steady. Airlock/blow off activity has slowed as of last night and this morning I saw that temps are hovering around 59-60 degrees in my chamber. I have a heat belt I could use, but I wanted to see if you guys knew about this yeast and how it reacts in 58-62 degree situations. Should I ride it out or strap on the heat belt? TIA.

Ive used this yeast twice both in the low 60's both came out with a clean profile. My beers were in the 1.050's though...

I'm thinking that since I pitched on Saturday night (and had activity w/in 3 hours), its had nearly 4 days at prime temps, and it should be fine. Just don't want to ruin it. Planning on gifting a few bottles for Christmas.

I seem to be having the opposite problem. I’m also brewing a batch of Christmas Ale - Greatlakes Clone. I pitched an active 1 liter starter of Wyeast 1028(first time I’ve used it) to 6 gal of a 1.078 @ 70 degrees F. I held the temp at 70, and for the first 24 hrs nothing happened. I let the temp rise to 73 and finally the air lock started bubbling. Not wanting a Banana Bomb, I turned the temp back down to 70 degrees F and fermentation slowed again. Last time I brewed this beer I used WPL1013 with a great outcome. I’m not really sure about the wisdom of just cranking up the temp. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Latest posts

Back