Welch's Grape Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new here, first post. I'm going to try this for my next batch. I read on this thread about not putting in the acid blend because of the tartness. Should I or shouldn't I? I also like a semi sweet not dry,suggestions on the recipe? Thanks....

If you're only making 1 gallon, you might as well make two 1 gallon batches- add acid blend to one and omit it from the other- I've just followed the original recipe adding some golden raisins to boost the body.

Welcome to Homebrewtalk! :mug:

I'm going to make 5 gallon. I was also thinking of adding raisins. How much did you add and when? Thanks. Great place for a lot of info.

I've only done 1 gallon batches of this and I used a handful of raisins when I transferred to secondary. Word of advice- put them in a cheesecloth bag or something because it becomes a PITA when transferring- they get sucked up or stop your siphon and end up in the new vessel.

Following the recipe with 1 1\4 cups of sugar does it make a semi sweet wine?

No sir. I dont' know how much sugar you'd need to add, check around on here to see if someone posted how much would yield a semi sweet wine (or mead even).

Scratch that- Yooper probably knows.

I've made Hillbilly Wine, as I call it, many times. Sorry if the term offends, I tried Sons of the Soil Wine, but it just didn't stick. :D

Has anyone used this recipe then distilled the product into cognac (assuming doing so is legal where you live of course). If so how'd it turn out?

Following the recipe with 1 1\4 cups of sugar does it make a semi sweet wine?

If you want it dry, you would ferment it out completely, according to the recipe. If you want it sweet, same thing. But after it's been done and it's ready to bottle, you would rack into a solution of one dissolved campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon of potassium sorbate. Wait a day or two, then sweeten to taste by mixing in a simple sugar syrup. Then wait another day or two to ensure fermentation doesn't restart, and bottle.

Thanks yooper, One more question. When it is sitting for 5 days or so fermenting do you stir it at all or just leave it alone?

Yooper, You said the wine is very tart. I have everything ready to start this batch. What do you think about adding only half of the acid blend? What do you also think about adding raisins for body? I added raisins to a strawberry\peach I made and it seemed to come out fine. Thanks for the info :)

started mine tonight, 0g was 1.113? did recipe to spec except only one tsp of acid blend. when racking i'm gonna just top up with the remaining quart of water left in the gallon. hope i did everything correct..

Yooper, You said the wine is very tart. I have everything ready to start this batch. What do you think about adding only half of the acid blend? What do you also think about adding raisins for body? I added raisins to a strawberry\peach I made and it seemed to come out fine. Thanks for the info :)

Raisins for body is a good idea, especially with the white grape juice. It's really tart because it's so dry, and concord juice is tart to begin with. You could add less acid blend, or you could consider stabilizing and sweetening if the tartness bothers you. I'd probably consider stabilizing, then sweetening to 1.000 which isn't really sweet but "off-dry". That's pretty good.

started mine tonight, 0g was 1.113? did recipe to spec except only one tsp of acid blend. when racking i'm gonna just top up with the remaining quart of water left in the gallon. hope i did everything correct..

If it's a one gallon batch, adding one quart later will give you an actual OG of 1.088, which is perfect.

cool thats what i was thinking, thanks for the reassurance.

also i am using lalvin d-47 thoughts?

The next batch that I make will have the acid blend added to taste before bottling. I found the amounts stated in the original recipe to be so tart as to be annoying (strip the the enamel off your teeth). Having the acid added during fermentation also creates a fairly acidic environment,which most yeast aren't fond of. FWIW.

getting ready to add the yeast in a little bit, i started this in a gallon carboy and filled to where the one gallon wording is imprinted. is this enough headspace for primary? or am i gonna have a sticky purple disaster?

Rowdy, I am concerned about this also. I am going to mix this in the primary and after the 5 days move it to the secondary. Then add the raisins and fit airlock. I hope this sounds about right. Good luck on your batch.

Should be fine. The fermentation of juice doesn't create a krausen like you have when making a beer. If you're worried about it, just use a blowoff tube for the first couple days until you see how the fermentation progresses. :)

Don't forget, you don't want to fit the airlock until fermentation settles down a bit. Wine yeast needs oxygen!

When I made my first 1 gallon batch, I only left about 2 inches of headspace and once fermentation took off I had a purple sticky mess on my counter and carpet- not fun! The last batch I did I left plenty of room and just topped up with water when I transferred to secondary.

Practice makes perfect, right?

Should be fine. The fermentation of juice doesn't create a krausen like you have when making a beer. If you're worried about it, just use a blowoff tube for the first couple days until you see how the fermentation progresses. :)

just what i was waiting to hear..

So.. I made a 6 gallon batch. I put 3 gallons in each of my 5 gallon primarys. After fermenting I am going to mix the 2 into the 5 gallon carboy. One gallon for top off. Should I divide 1 pack of yeast between the 2 or 1 pack to each of the 3 gallons.

No yeast activity, I started the yeast its was foamy added it to the must, now no activity. Its been about 5 hours.

mine took 12 or so hours but took off nicely. came real close to overflow but didnt..

Just started my first batch of this today. I used the store brand instead of welch's but should be fine. Also got an OG of 1095 and Northern Brewer mke was out of pectic enzyme so I left that out hoping it will be fine. I ended up using pastuer red yeast if anyone has any experience please let me know. Thanks agian and I look forward to trying this in a few months.

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

I have 6 cans of the frozen red grape juice, and 8 64 oz bottles of store brand 100% grape juice, a packet of 1118 yeast, and lotsa sugar.

How important is the nutrient and enzyme? Also instead of acid blend would some lemon juice work ok?

Also I'd like to make this sparkling, could I start with enough OG to get to say, 14 or 15% and then bottle just like beer figuring on the yeast still having plenty of kick left to do the bottle conditioning?

Thoughts?

I used 1 tsp per gallon. Its all good now, I just to give it some time. Its cookin now...

I have 6 cans of the frozen red grape juice, and 8 64 oz bottles of store brand 100% grape juice, a packet of 1118 yeast, and lotsa sugar.

How important is the nutrient and enzyme? Also instead of acid blend would some lemon juice work ok?

Also I'd like to make this sparkling, could I start with enough OG to get to say, 14 or 15% and then bottle just like beer figuring on the yeast still having plenty of kick left to do the bottle conditioning?

Thoughts?

The enzyme is only for clarity, but the nutrient helps. Neither are really crucial, but if the yeast has some nutrient it often keeps them from getting stressed. If you don't have it, it'll probably be fine.

The acid blend isn't necessary, either. You could just go without it and see how it is.

I'm not sure about making it sparkling since I've never done it, but it seems like that would work.

The enzyme is only for clarity, but the nutrient helps. Neither are really crucial, but if the yeast has some nutrient it often keeps them from getting stressed. If you don't have it, it'll probably be fine.

The acid blend isn't necessary, either. You could just go without it and see how it is.

I'm not sure about making it sparkling since I've never done it, but it seems like that would work.

Hell worse case is I make some kinda nasty undrinkable wine that I give to my buddy to distill into hooch :D I'll probably get this started tonight and see how it turns out I'll try and sparkle a few bottles and do the "normal" aging on the others and just see what happens.

I have the batch in my primary after 5 days or so. I just rack it to my secondary and airlock. Do I need to add any chems?

6 cans of the frozen red grape juice, and 8 64 oz bottles of store brand 100% grape juice, 10 pounds of sugar, a good squirt of pure lemon juice (bottled), and a packet of booster from my Mr Beer yielded close to 10 gallons of Welch's wine and a 1.102 OG at 80F.
2 packets of 1118 yeast were added after everything cooled down, and I split it into 3 5 gallon buckets roughly 3 gallons each. Is there likely to be any danger of this overflowing? I know this stuff is supposed to ferment pretty damn hard but will 3 gallons overfoam a 5 gallon bucket? Surely not?

I'll stir this daily till the worst of the fermentation is over then I'll combine it down into 2 buckets, cap and seal with an airlock (sound good?).

I have the batch in my primary after 5 days or so. I just rack it to my secondary and airlock. Do I need to add any chems?

No, it should be fine.

6 cans of the frozen red grape juice, and 8 64 oz bottles of store brand 100% grape juice, 10 pounds of sugar, a good squirt of pure lemon juice (bottled), and a packet of booster from my Mr Beer yielded close to 10 gallons of Welch's wine and a 1.102 OG at 80F.
2 packets of 1118 yeast were added after everything cooled down, and I split it into 3 5 gallon buckets roughly 3 gallons each. Is there likely to be any danger of this overflowing? I know this stuff is supposed to ferment pretty damn hard but will 3 gallons overfoam a 5 gallon bucket? Surely not?

I'll stir this daily till the worst of the fermentation is over then I'll combine it down into 2 buckets, cap and seal with an airlock (sound good?).

Probably not! No guarantees, however.

Is it normal for the must to change color from an opaque nearly black deep purple to a magenta during primary fermentation?

I have no idea. I never looked that closely. I assume it's fine, though. The yeast is churning around, and I'm sure that makes it look a different color.

when racking this the first time, could/should i just decant to another bottle, or do i have to siphon?
is it good to airrate during the first racking?

when racking this the first time, could/should i just decant to another bottle, or do i have to siphon?
is it good to airrate during the first racking?

You have to siphon it. You don't want any aeration once primary is nearing completion. That will ruin the wine, giving it a "sherry" like flavor.

Back