Transporting grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
The guy at my LBHS wants me to bring my own container when I buy grain from him.

How big a container do I need for about 12 lbs. of grain?

Do I need a "food grade" container, or can I just use any old bucket as long as it's clean?

Ask him for a discount since you're providing your own packaging. A 5 gallon bucket would work and I don't really think it needs to be food grade. However, a lot of buckets are HDPE anyway.

He's too cheap to spring for plastic bags? :confused:

Any of these suggestions would work, it seems. Sanitation isn't critical, everything will ultimately be boiled, you just need some kind of clean, dry vessel.

Paper Grocery bag, NON scented plastic trash bag, 5 gal bucket..... I usually bring my own bucket just because it is easier and throws less dust than using the brown paper bags at the LHBS.

I just bring one of my buckets, or he charges me $3 for a used bucket. That would be a lot of plastic bags for 13# of grains.

McCall St. Brewer said:
The guy at my LBHS wants me to bring my own container when I buy grain from him.

Sheesh, what does this guy charge for the grain? Austin Home Brew will put the grain in a large plastic bag or a large paper (grocery size bag) for you at no charge.

What's it coming to? Is this guy in business to sell grain or what?

Sorry to rant, but this LBHS is pathetic IMHO in regards to customer service to tell a customer who is buying 10 to 15 pounds of grain to bring his own bag. Unfrickingbelievable.

I'd take my business elsewhere cause it would make me think about where else he is cutting corners.

Back