Jamil's hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lylo

Reaction score
I recently listened to an archived podcast from The Brewing Network,from July of 05.It was Jamil's first appearance on the show!He recommended at that time that he was adding ALL of his IBU's ath 20 minutes!

ie:instead of 1 oz. at 60 min. he would add 3 oz at 10 minutes!(these are arbitrary numbers that I pulled out of the sky).

I was wondering if anyone has tried this method.I gave it a try on an American Ale the other day but won't have any results for a couple of weeks.

I do that with some pale ales- start at 20 minutes with the first addition, usually. It's a great way to get tons of hops aroma and flavor in the finished beer.

You could google Jamil's Evil Twin recipe to see what a recipe with hopbursting looks like. I don't know if I have one posted or not- but I know I've seen Jamil's.

I've been brewing an extract pale ale in which I only boil for 15 minutes, and obviously all the hops get added in that time period. The twice I've done it I have been very happy with the results.

Note that you can't do this for any old style. Only a portion of the flavor/aroma compounds get driven off with only a 15 minute boil. So you can only make a style that is happy with a lot of hop character and moderate bitterness. As luck would have it, that's basically the definition of American Pale Ale.

I've been trying to think of other styles where this method would work well. I'm thinking possibly Cal Common. What else?

Do it man its fantastic! I have a amarillo cascade late hop pale ale that i brew all the time that is all late additions and its awesome. It has 37 ibus and it uses 6 oz of hops but its well worth it. Here is the recipe so you can see how I do mine.

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.83
Anticipated SRM: 7.4
Anticipated IBU: 37.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.0 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
10.0 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
5.0 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 8.6 20 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 14.9 20 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 8.9 7 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 5.1 7 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Back