Belgian tripel not drinkable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCBrewster

Reaction score
Ok y'all.. I just cracked my belgian tripel after a week in the bottles. I know that's not a long time but I wanted to see how it turned out. It was a little carbed up but not even drinkable. Not sure what it is but please somebody give me some hope that the flavor will change dramatically in a few months in the bottle!

Without a recipe and other parameters (like fermentation temperature) we can't help you much.

What's wrong with the taste? Let's start with that. Certain off flavors caused by different things, some will age out and some won't.

The recipe was a northern brewer extract kit with specialty grains. I don't know how to describe the flavor other than harsh. Two things I could have potentially messed up. Initial fermentation was around 70-75. And then I accidentally put the wrong hops in at the wrong time so I put it all in. 2 weeks primary 2 months secondary

I had a Belgian strong that took 6 months before it was actually enjoyable. If this is a high gravity brew, tuck it away till fall. you will thank me.

I figured that question was coming. I want to say bitter but also a little boozy

I sure hope y'all are right. I put so much time and effort into it and have been waiting so long already just for the fermenting. Just hope it wasnt for nothin

Belgian beers are supposed to ferment high anyhow. That might have been a little cold even. What is the alcohol tolerence of your yeast? Everything I am reading here says RDWHAHB.

I think the alcohol tolerance was around 8%. It was high enough for it. Yeah you are right that sounds to be the consensus just that includes MORE waiting time! Ugh

Well, if you added more hops than the recipe called for at 60 mins, I'd expect it to be over-bittered. 70-75 should be about right for a tripel, or like said above maybe even a tad cool. How much yeast did you pitch? If it was just one pack/vial, that's WAY too little for that beer, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't a little boozy. Put it away for 6 months and evaluate again.

I'm actually in the same exact situation as you (no wrong hops though.)
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.012
Looks and tastes much darker than it should. A bit harsh. Strong alcohol presence. I'm just gonna let it sit longer

Yeah I'm not too worried about the hops because it was just saaz that I added too early and it's not really that strong. And if its a little more bitter than a tripel my feelings wont be hurt. I did a yeast starter so there should have been plenty of yeast again not really worried about that.

Looks like I will be putting it in the back of the closet to be "forgot" about for 4-8 months or so

Usually with mead when it's young it has that azz kicken Alcohol up front but after time it eases down, same should go for your tripel.

I'm enjoying a tripel right now that was almost 2 months old before it went to bottle. After a month in the bottle I tried one or two and it's great. Letting the rest age longer.

The current batch is fermenting and will bulk age for 4 months then off to my belly.

Good googly moggly, OP... a week in the bottles doesn't scratch the surface of the time you need. This isn't a bitter or a simple pale ale.

To start with, you opened the bottle way too early for it to be carbed. Next is the fact that high gravity brews typically take some age (i.e. months) before they really hit their stride.

You're far from the first person I've seen post about a trippel being undrinkable early on. Reason is, it's not done!

Stick this in the back of the closet ad go brew something with a fast turnaround time. Leave this thing alone for at least a couple months, and try to set aside at least part of it for longer (say, six months or so).

Well googly moogly homebrewdad haha. I know a week in the bottles wasnt long enough for carbing but I just wanted to get an idea of the flavor but EXTREMELY happy to hear it is simply not done and needs be aged!

Well googly moogly homebrewdad haha. I know a week in the bottles wasnt long enough for carbing but I just wanted to get an idea of the flavor but EXTREMELY happy to hear it is simply not done and needs be aged!

lol no worries. Yep, just give it time. You'll be happy you did.

If you don't want to wait to drink your beer you should not be brewing triples!

Cream ale

IPA

Pale Ale

Amber ale

Brown ale

These are a few styles that require only 2 weeks in the bottles to be excellent!

Another vote for letting it sit awhile and don't be discouraged if in a month it's still harsh. I have a tripel that I brewed, oh nearly 8 months ago I think, that's just become drinkable in the last month or so. Let some dust collect on those bottles, it will probably be great in time.

There might be a little dust on the bottle! But dont let it fool ya bout what's inside lol

You'll be amazed at how a few months can radically change what was once unthinkable drinkable to wow, this is some good a$$ $h*t!!! :tank:

I've got a dubbel that is 2 months in the keg and just barely drinkable at this point. Time heals many ills.

Just gave in and opened another triple up. It's been about 2.5 months in the bottle. I think it's progressing but very slowly. Also looked VERY dark which I thought was odd

Really trying to decide if I am just gonna trash this batch or not. Thoughts? Is there a taste I should be looking for if it just needs to sit in the bottles opposed to something screwed up?

It's been 2.5 months in the bottle and its still not drinkable. You think it still needs more time?

Alright alright haha I will give it 9 more months.. But no more! If a baby can be made in that time so should a beer lol

Alright alright haha I will give it 9 more months.. But no more! If a baby can be made in that time so should a beer lol

You've already got beer. But a baby isn't mature at 9 months and neither is the beer. You may find that beer is FANTASTIC when it's 3 years old and you wish you still had some left. If you're going to dump it, send it to me first.

Back