Mash efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgia

Reaction score
OK, I am thinking about making the jump to AG but have a question. Maybe I'm over thinking this but it seems that taking a gravity reading would not be the only factor in determining your efficiency. Wouldn't starchy water that had not yet converted give you a higher gravity reading then just water?

Burgia, you should be checking that conversion is complete before you start taking gravity readings. A lot of people will do this by pulling out a tsp. of the mash (liquid only) then using a drop or two of iodine in it. If it changes color (blue, black,purple) then it is not fully converted. There shouldn't be any change of color in the iodine if it has converted. If conversion isn't complete then you should mash longer. As for the specific question you asked it sounds logical that starch is heavier than water but I couldn't really answer one way another.

Back