SMaSH Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
Looking into trying this for the first time. I have a question about the single malt portion of this concept. I am looking to do something along the lines of a standard bitter/pub ale. In the neighborhood of a Boddingtons.

However, I have two issues that I have been overcoming with malt additions lately. I have highly alkaline water and have always had an issue with head retention.

As a result, I usually cut my water with RO, make my mineral additions, but to help bring my mash pH in line, I usually compensate with 2-3 ounces of acid malt (3% or less of my total grist)

For the head retention, I usually toss in a few ounces of carapils.

If my base malt for this beer is going to be Golden Promise pale, would adding the minor amounts of acid malt and carapils technically make it "not a SMASH"?

I guess I could skip the carapils and try to compensate by bumping my mash temp a couple of degrees. For the alkalinity, although the adjustments are smaller in impact, I could really hit it with gypsum and a little bit of epsom salt or cacl. That would only serve to highlight the "minerally" profile that would work for a British style.

Thoughts?

I make SmaSh beers simply to experiment with the base grain or hop. Tomorrow for example I am brewing a small batch with MO and Palisade hop. As far as style is concerned; that isn't the goal with SMaSH..... if want to add carapils, add it. Don't get to hung up on style vs styling... you are simply styling a beverage of your own.
Just ask your self; what end goal are you trying to achieve? Is it to isolate the malt or hop or just to play?

I am trying to isolate the malt. So if I go with 8# of Golden Promise, 3 ounces of acid malt and 6 ounces of carapils, would I still be able to pick up the bulk of the characteristics from the base malt?

For the most part you will be able to pick up the differences when compared to 2-row for example. Personally, I read your water issue, but I would try to leave it alone. For example, you are going to get a different result with the GP by it's self vs. adding cara for more mouth feel. Again, if you want to do a SMaSH, leave the 'British style' at the door. If you want a British style, make that instead - it would drive me nuts trying to blend the two

Back