Hopslam different this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I'm just imagining this, or if others have picked up on. In the past I remember Hopslam having quite a noticeable honey flavor and resinous character to it. This year, it seems like just an all out citrus hop bomb. To be honest, I prefer it to previous experiences. This year I think it's just about the best IPA I've ever had.

I plan on attempting a clone of this beer in the near future, but I'd much rather the end result resemble this year's Hopslam. To that end, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if I'm just crazy. If it truly is different, I assume I'd need to potentially tweak a recipe a bit to downplay the honey and play up the citrus from the hops.

It's lacking body for me this year. The hops aren't up to their usual levels either. Of course, my first six pack was downed side-by-side with a lot of palate wrecker from Green Flash, which is triple hopped in comparison to this year's hopslam.

Back