Allergy or bacteria filled keg lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
Ok so we all love the bars with the selection of 150+ beers. I even have gift cards to use from xmas. But, I have run into a problem lately, twice at world of beer trying the different beers on tap and once at a local pub drinking yuengling on tap. I wake up the next morning sick with a cold.
Is this a coincidence? An allergy? Can these lines harvest bacteria?

Hammy71 said:
I don't think you can get a beer from a beer tap. Especially not the next morning.

You mean a cold from a beer tap?

The throat gets nasty and I feel like garbage.
I was hoping someone had a similar experience with contaminated draft lines. (not hoping that someone else is sick).
An allergy would be the end.
But there is never a problem with bottled beer.

You are probably on your way to getting sick before you hit the bar, and a night of drinking, crap food, and poor sleep pushes you over that edge to a cold.

broadbill said:
You are probably on your way to getting sick before you hit the bar, and a night of drinking, crap food, and poor sleep pushes you over that edge to a cold.

True. As long as it's just my crappy immune system and not WOB, that place is heaven on earth. It would be a shame.
I heard that the yard house treats their beer lines and keeps them protected from exposure and started thinking that it was necessary to prevent unwanted bacterial growth. Might be to protect from light and temps only.

also how many beers did you drink? sometimes i feel like hell when i wake up after a long night of drinking : )

rycov said:
also how many beers did you drink? sometimes i feel like hell when i wake up after a long night of drinking : )

At WOB, 6,7,enough.
At the pub this last time drinking cheap yuengling, only 2 pints. The misses may cut me off if I am constantly out of commission after drinking and she takes care of the baby by herself...

We know alcohol suppresses the immune systems ability to fight invaders, but can it harbor super bacteria in dirty lines? Bacteria that has built up an immunity to the alcohol? Similar to how my niece's ears harbor super bacteria that are immune to her constant dose of antibiotics.

Few colds are bacterial and when they are (in people of average health), they're usually a secondary infection after having a viral cold. Incubation periods (the time between exposure to the virus and when symptoms start) with colds vary dependant on a lot of things, but it would be very rare to start getting symptoms 8 hours after exposure to the virus. It usually takes anywhere from 24 hours to 5 days.

Cold viruses can't survive all that long outside the human body. You'll hear up to 48 hours, but that would have to be one big loogie. Most often it's in a tiny droplet of mucous or salive and they might last a few hours before they dry up and "die" (it's scientifically questionable whether a virus is really "alive" in the first place, since it's just some DNA or RNA wrapped in a protein coat). So, the transmission is person to person, not through beer lines.

OK, I'll stop now... bottom line is, you had that cold coming before you even went out those nights.

At WOB, 6,7,enough.
At the pub this last time drinking cheap yuengling, only 2 pints. The misses may cut me off if I am constantly out of commission after drinking and she takes care of the baby by herself...

Ahhhh....you have children....yep, I'm all the more certain that you were on your way to getting sick and the drinking sealed the deal!

Children are basically "starters" for human pathogens!

We know alcohol suppresses the immune systems ability to fight invaders, but can it harbor super bacteria in dirty lines? Bacteria that has built up an immunity to the alcohol? Similar to how my niece's ears harbor super bacteria that are immune to her constant dose of antibiotics.

Not really, for a number of reasons.

broadbill said:
Ahhhh....you have children....yep, I'm all the more certain that you were on your way to getting sick and the drinking sealed the deal!

Children are basically "starters" for human pathogens!

"starters", great analogy!

Ok so the drinking seals the deal when the body is fighting a cold. One homebrew per day it looks like in the future.

Due to other symptoms, doc is testing me for Celiac. That would be an unfortunate and abrupt end to this beautiful hobby. I'm still new to these forums, but what do you guys think? Doesn't seem like Celiac would give someone a cold after they drink beer.

Due to other symptoms, doc is testing me for Celiac. That would be an unfortunate and abrupt end to this beautiful hobby. I'm still new to these forums, but what do you guys think? Doesn't seem like Celiac would give someone a cold after they drink beer.

I'm no MD, but this seems a bit over-the-top....does any other gluten containing food give you issues? I also thought the symptoms of celiac disease are quite distinct from cold symptoms....unless people frequently have diarrhea during a cold...

broadbill said:
I'm no MD, but this seems a bit over-the-top....does any other gluten containing food give you issues? I also thought the symptoms of celiac disease are quite distinct from cold symptoms....unless people frequently have diarrhea during a cold...

Always have canker sores, arthritis, weight loss, gas. Hopefully it is over the top. Anyways I'm sure things are ok. Don't want to be moping around these boards like a hypochondriac.

Back