2010 Oktoberfest - Munich, Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the highlights of the trip is when we went to the Andechs monastery. The beer there was amazing.. The monks have been making beer there for 6 or 700 years. Only had two available. A helles and a dunkel. Sitting outside up on a mountain drinking this beer on an 80 degree day was amazing.

We haven't even got to Oktoberfest yet.....More to come..

I was at Andech's on Monday, Sept. 21. The walk up (pilgramage) was kinda neat but long. The beer and food is great there.

The Spaten tent suck. Don't bother with them. The Hippodrome tent sucks also.

If you're in Munich for awhile. Go on Mike's Bikes Tour. Lots of fun and worth it.

I was at Andech's on Monday, Sept. 21. The walk up (pilgramage) was kinda neat but long. The beer and food is great there.

The Spaten tent suck. Don't bother with them. The Hippodrome tent sucks also.

If you're in Munich for awhile. Go on Mike's Bikes Tour. Lots of fun and worth it.

Yes, Andechs was very good. The worst beer was the Spaten and the Lowenbrau tent. Went into but didn;t drink at the Hippodrome.

The best beers were Augustiner Hacker Pschorr. I also liked the beer in the traditional weisn. It is supposedly similar to what they were drinking 200 years ago.

Yes, Andechs was very good. The worst beer was the Spaten and the Lowenbrau tent. Went into but didn;t drink at the Hippodrome.

The best beers were Augustiner Hacker Pschorr. I also liked the beer in the traditional weisn. It is supposedly similar to what they were drinking 200 years ago.

Yeah, i thought the Augustiner and Hacker Pschorr tents were really cool too. The Lowenbrau tent wasn't bad. I thought it was kinda fun, but we ended up sitting next to some locals that were pretty nice and fun to talk too. Most of the beer it pretty much the same anyways, although, the Lowenbrau and Spaten tent beers were noticably worse than Augustiner, Hacker Pschorr and Paulaner.

Did you do the walk up to Andech's, or did you drive?

Did you see the surfers in Munich?

germany054.jpg

Hop fields..
germany051.jpg

More hop fields..
germany059.jpg

Driving in style..
germany066.jpg

My friend was like look at all those cases of beer. I said, look at all those empty cases...Man, the Germans can really drink..
germany072.jpg

This was walking up to the Monastary at Andechs. Pretty steep hill..Worth the climb, that's for sure.
germany079.jpg

Worth the climb..
germany080.jpg

germany082.jpg

It was a beautiful day.
germany087.jpg

These are the Monks beer steins all locked up.
germany086.jpg

Another shot..

Here are a few of the brewery. They had a tour the next day, but I had a few to many that night and woke up late.
germany089.jpg

germany090.jpg

germany097.jpg

germany095.jpg

Not sure what this says, but it says something..

Here are some shots of the weinstephaner brewery.
germany148.jpg

germany152.jpg

This is the oldest brewery in the world, from 1040..Pretty impressive..
germany154.jpg

germany156.jpg

Had a bunch of these that day..
germany158.jpg

germany160.jpg

germany161.jpg

German purity law ..Only four ingredients..
germany166.jpg

Anybody know what this says.
germany169.jpg

germany171.jpg

germany174.jpg

Sanitize sanitize sanitize...
germany177.jpg

I could use a few more, but I couldn't fit them in my luggage.
germany183.jpg

germany191.jpg

I felt like leverne...
germany192.jpg

This tour was in German, so I didn;t understand much..I did ask him some questions at the beer tasting. Boil time for 90 minutes. Lagering for 6 weeks.

Done with Amsterdam and it kicked my ass. In Brussels now. Having issues uploading picks with the weak Internet but have hundreds.

e71ab0b9.jpg

also got a 6pk of 8* and 40 bottles of other beers from Brussels coming in the mail hopefully in a few days:)

8d825b10.jpg

a few that are being shipped.

Back