Testing Lager w/ Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotdane

Reaction score
My father wants me to duplicate Aecht Gehlenferla Rauchbier (a lager) that he brought back from Germany. I have only one fermentation fridge and a long list of ales to brew. What's everyone's opinion of bre wwing my test batches using ale yeast to get the amount of smoke malt, color and hops part of the recipe dialed-in?

What ale yeast would be closest to a lager (preferrably a dry yeast to keep costs for these test batches down)?

Will the ale flavors be far enough off from a lager to kill my idea of test batches with ale yeast?

My father wants me to duplicate Aecht Gehlenferla Rauchbier (a lager) that he brought back from Germany. I have only one fermentation fridge and a long list of ales to brew. What's everyone's opinion of bre wwing my test batches using ale yeast to get the amount of smoke malt, color and hops part of the recipe dialed-in?

What ale yeast would be closest to a lager (preferrably a dry yeast to keep costs for these test batches down)?

Will the ale flavors be far enough off from a lager to kill my idea of test batches with ale yeast?

Wyeast 1007 is supposedly quite close to lager characteristics, especially when fermented at 55-60. However, it is a liquid yeast. US-05 is probably the best dry option, very clean. I bet the beer would be great with either one of those yeasts.

Another option would be a California Common yeast.

Thanks. I'll try doing my tests with S-05. I just ordered some a bunch of grains I've never used before. This should be fun.

Back