How to improve a kit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
I've bottled my first batch of beer (kit beer) and whilst it is very drinkable, it has pretty much no body. I'm guessign that was because I used sugar to add the extra rather tan Extract.

I've rectified this for my second brew by using an all extract kit (munton's Highland Heavy). And It just looks a whole lot better, but I won't find out about the taste for some time.

In the mean time, a kit I ordered months ago has finally arrived, but it's a cheapo perfect pint kit. Since I don't hold much hope for this, I was thinking about just making up a 10 litre batch using the whole kit and sticking it in a couple of demijohns that I have laying around. Does anyone know if this will be a good idea?

I'd add DME to it, but I think it would be a waste, and since I am forced by location to use the Internet for Hombrew shopping, it would be pointless to order some extract without getting more stuff, and frankly the missus will batter me if I buy more stuff!

You didn't say what kind of kit, but you could use wheat or oats to up the mouthfeel. Just go to the grocery store by the hot breakfast cereals.

-OCD

I would highly suggest moving to using extract recipes, I switched after one kit and its not much harder but far more rewarding. Just being able to smell the hops will make it so much more worthwhile.

I'm hopefully going to bypass the extract phase completely, as the engineer at my work recons he can build me a decent boiler. Just have to wait and see how his reaction times are.

AHS sells a beer add kit that does a great job (from my experience) adding body and mouthfeel to a beer. I think it's a 1# corn sugar, 1# extra light DME, 1/4# maltodextrin. I've used in a couple beers and was very happy with the outcome.

I just did up a can of Cooper's Stout, but I did a partial grain with 2# of two-row and 2# of 1 minute oatmeal. The current stout I'm drinking is a little light for me, so I wanted to get a bunch of mouthfeel and additional flavour from the oats, but needed some enzyme action from the two-row.

I'll let you know in a few months how it turns out :D

Back