Temp Control...Fermenting Two Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxsman

Reaction score
I am in the process of constructing my fermenting chamber. Here is my question. How do you handle the freezer temp with two different vessels at different stages of fermentation? Any advise is always welcome.
Here is my plan...I will monitor the temperature of both batches. Control cooling if either vessel requires cooling. Add heat to either vessel by means of either heating pad or belly belt heater. Not sure if the pad or belt are the best heating options!!!
What does everyone else do?
Thanks

Well, I try to just use good planning. If I brew a lager, I try to brew a couple different ones. If I'm doing an ale, I try to do ones that require approximately the same temp. I use an old fridge with a heat pad strapped to the back.

ferm.jpg

I agree about good planning...lagers with lagers ales with ales. I am referring to two ales one a week old one active. Do you go to the trouble of controlling the temp on both or just control the active vessel?

Once fermentation is complete (usually after the first week for an ale), then you can take it out and condition the rest of the way without really worrying about the temperature. Just don't go to extremes, like freezing or very hot. As a general rule, fermentation is when you really have to worry about temps.

This is a good question, I recently finished my temp control build and will have to figure this out. I'm already debating on getting another controller and chest freezer. The more equipment that I get, the more equipment that I realize I need!

Back