Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The apfelwein I'd been saving for Easter was pretty dry for my wife's tastes. I added 2 cans of frozen cranberry concentrate to the 3gallon corny. WOOHOO! It was a hit. Everyone loved it. BUT.... I guess its not Apfelwein anymore?

quick question.. 4 gallons apple 1 gallon cranberry. should i try it? or should i just go with the apfelwein.

the problem is once it's all fermented out, most of the apple and cranberry will be gone. I dont mind it dry, but swmbo wanted it sweeter, so I added 2 cans of frozen cranberry to 3 gallons of finished apfelwein. I guess if I keep it cold and drink it fast it shouldnt ferment anymore, i hope.

Sorry, I tried searching but trying key words searching of "Prime with apple juice" basically brings back every comment.

If you were to prime with apple juice (5.5G), how much juice would you use?

Aw thanks... I just searched this thread, I should have looked elsewhere. Thanks for the info!

Anyone ever cold crash apfelwein? Kind of pointless right now at 7 weeks since it is totally clear...but I had some kolsch in my fermentation chamber with it so decided to just cold crash everything. I put the temp down to 40 a couple days ago, and will be going down to 35 for another few days. Any idea what effect, if any, this will have on the AW?

Anyone ever cold crash apfelwein? Kind of pointless right now at 7 weeks since it is totally clear...but I had some kolsch in my fermentation chamber with it so decided to just cold crash everything. I put the temp down to 40 a couple days ago, and will be going down to 35 for another few days. Any idea what effect, if any, this will have on the AW?

I have done that before to speed up clearing. The yeast won't be too happy about it if the temp change is too quick, but it doesn't affect the flavor of the AW.

Most commercial wineries do this to drop out the yeast. Even if it appears clear there is still a lot of yeast in there so crash cooling will still help.

Any thoughts on if this is an okay recipe for a first timer to cut their teeth on? I would like to have a batch ready at the end of October, and while it looks like it is drinkable after a month the first page also mentions waiting 6 months so I am not sure if I need to start this project fairly soon to have a good flavor by then. I suppose I should also ask about equipment costs for starting this, though from the looks of it I am not expecting anything crazy.

Any thoughts on if this is an okay recipe for a first timer to cut their teeth on? I would like to have a batch ready at the end of October, and while it looks like it is drinkable after a month the first page also mentions waiting 6 months so I am not sure if I need to start this project fairly soon to have a good flavor by then. I suppose I should also ask about equipment costs for starting this, though from the looks of it I am not expecting anything crazy.

Definitely a good first recipe. And, the earlier you start, the better it will be in October.

Basic equipment and approximate costs (cheapest solution):
5g Better bottle $28
Stopper $2
Airlock $2
Autosiphon $12
Vinyl tubing $5
Bottling wand $7
Bottling bucket $15
Star-san $12
Subtotal: $83

Ingredients and approximate costs:
5g Apple juice $19
2lbs Dextrose $6
1pkt Montrachet yeast $0.60
Subtotal: $26

Total: $109, repeated cost for further batches: $25-$26 (depends on whether you re-pitch onto the yeast cake)

You don't need fancy equipment for this really... Wine has been made for thousands of years without autosiphons and special wine fermenters!

Apfelwein Ghetto Style:

Homer bucket and lid: $4 (yes these are #2 plastic so they are safe to use)
#2 drilled stopper and 3pc airlock: $2
Saved, rinsed and sanitized juice bottles: FREE
Large funnel: you probably already have one, if not: $2
Small funnel: you probably already have one, if not: $1
Campden tablets: $2
4 gallons apple juice: $16
2# corn sugar: $4
1 pkt wine yeast: $1

Drill a 5/8" hole in the lid for the airlock.

Crush two campden tablets and add to a 1 gallon jug of cool water. This will be your sanitizing solution. Clean all equipment which will touch your wine or juice well with soap and water and rinse well with hot water. Then rinse with the sanitizing solution last.

Ferment in the bucket until fermentation dies down, about 2 weeks. Then gently pour the fermented wine into the sanitized saved juice bottles through your sanitized funnel, leaving 1/2" space at the top of each bottle. Tighten down the caps and then back them off 1/2 turn so gas can escape. Let sit until clear, 2-4 weeks and you have still wine.

If you want carbonated Apfelwein, you will need to buy a capper ($20) and some caps ($2), and have plenty of non-screwtop type beer bottles on hand to fill the batch, about 12 per gallon of wine. Or, you can use Grolsch-style flip tops, no capper required. Add 4oz of corn sugar to the bucket and slowly pour the contents of each bottle into the bucket (try to avoid splashing). Stir gently with a sanitized spoon to dissolve the sugar. Then use a small sanitized funnel and sanitized measuring cup or drinking glass dipped in the bucket to fill each sanitized bottle.

It's so easy even my cave dog could do it. :D

Ya know, I've got 5 gals working now but I've been thinking...I've got 3 empty 15 gallon demijohns, I should put at least one of them to good use. :eek:

I can only imagine the looks I'll be getting buying 15 gallons of apple juice at the market...:drunk:

Ya know, I've got 5 gals working now but I've been thinking...I've got 3 empty 15 gallon demijohns, I should put at least one of them to good use. :eek:

I can only imagine the looks I'll be getting buying 15 gallons of apple juice at the market...:drunk:

Go ahead and throw a few cartons of activa yogurt in the cart too.:D

I guess you could say I made mine today half ghetto-style. (I wonder how frustrated I would be if it were my simple recipe everyone kept screwing around with)
I went with surplus mr. beer sugar which is dried corn syrup, and an ale yeast. I had a control where I filled a 2nd mr. beer with dextrose, but of course I got them mixed up. Then I will have to decide later whether I can throw both of them together in one keg or do I have to bottle. Is there anybody who prefers noncarbed AW?

I bought 5 gallons of apple juice and the biggest, cheapest bottle of vodka. I got the odd look, the skeptical look (when I mentioned I make wine and beer), and now every time I go through I think I still get odd looks from the lady that usually checks me out. Doesn't help either that I buy diet pepsi in bulk either (I spent almost 200$ this last time it was on sale).

I had an idea. I dont know if anyone has tried this, and i didnt want to search all 100 pages to find out.

Anyone use the applejuice jug as the fermenter?

Add the corn sugar and yeast to the jug. Poke a pinhole in a condom or balloon and put over the top.

aw.jpg

I figure when its done, i will pull the condom off and put the cap back on quickly. Now you have 1 gallon of uncarbonate apfelwein in a convenient and discreet travel container.

Any reason why this isnt going to work? Its bubbling nicely right now.

Interesting solution - no reason it shouldn't work, though I would rinse and sanitize the condom before applying to the bottle.

I have some fruit punch fermenting right now in its original container. I used a #8 stopper (7.5 would probably work better) to fit an airlock onto the opening. If you have those airlock sizes lying around, I'd give that a try as well.

make sure the condom hasn't yet been used.

Aside from any possible deposits from a used condom....I'd be concerned with lubricants being introduced to the fermenting Apfelwein. That, and the latex smell.

I'd strongly suggest an airlock instead of the rubber.

If you serve the aplwein directly out of the jug you will have a ton of sediment. Drill a hole in the cap and shove an airlock in if you want to go ghetto. Condoms are not for brewing purposes.

I used a condom because i assume they are sterile. I just moved into a new house and dont have any sanitizer or airlocks with me. I will see how it works. If i do it again, i will get an airlock. If it doesnt work, im out about $4.

If there is too much sediment, I will just bottle it.

The condom wasnt the idea i was excited about. I thought it would be nice to make apfelwein without needing a carboy, funnel, etc..

That totally looks like some wierd urban redneck sex toy. :drunk:

I had an idea. I dont know if anyone has tried this, and i didnt want to search all 100 pages to find out.

Anyone use the applejuice jug as the fermenter?

Add the corn sugar and yeast to the jug. Poke a pinhole in a condom or balloon and put over the top.

aw.jpg

I figure when its done, i will pull the condom off and put the cap back on quickly. Now you have 1 gallon of uncarbonate apfelwein in a convenient and discreet travel container.

Any reason why this isnt going to work? Its bubbling nicely right now.

Think it would be possible to carbonate in this container also? Add some sugar and put the cap on? Maybe this is asking too much.

I'd be surprised if the container was able to hold carbonation. It certainly wasn't meant to, and I'd bet those seams along the edges would burst.

If you serve the aplwein directly out of the jug you will have a ton of sediment. ...

Yes, but you could probably stick it in the fridge for 4-6 days after it's done fermenting to cake the yeast on the bottom. Then pour off the apfelwein into a sanitized bowl or something, quickly rinse and re-sanitize the container, and pour it back in. Voila, no sediment!

Wow what a thread!!! I'm up to the 3000th post and forgetting some of the stuff I read. I got all the ingredients together and started my first batches. I made a 2.5 gallon batch with 1 lb of corn sugar, a 1 gallon batch with 5.63 oz of cane sugar and another 1 gallon batch with straight juice. I used Montrachet with all. The OG of the Natures Own Apple juice is 1.042 and both the cane and corn sugar batches bumped the OG to 1.055. Do these gravities sound right?
By the way 8 hours later all batches have a ring of small bubbles on the surface.

I made a 2 gallon batch of Apfelwein about 2 months ago and just had my first glass. It's better than I thought it would be. After hearing that it tastes similar to a white wine (I hate wine with a passion) I was pleasantly surprised. It tastes similar to apple juice mixed with champagne but without the dry/bitter aftertaste. I'm going to let the rest of it age for another month or so and see if it changes. I should mention I also used some lactose at bottling time because I was afraid it wouldn't be sweet enough.

That cONDOM rig IS Fuking Hilarious!!! Straight up ghetto as brewing comes... that is real deal prison hooch, this dude definitely came from ad seg

Just tried first batch today and... it's good. Used Motts juice, about 4.75 gallons in a 5 gal better bottle using standard instructions. (2 lb corn sugar, Montrachet Wine Yeast) Got it started about 6.5 weeks ago but forgot to take an OG. So when I tested it today it came out to .996!

1. Thanks for the recipe Ed!

2. I plan on bottling some still and carb some in 12oz bottles. I've read of people doing both but does anyone actually prefer this still?

3. I plan on getting another batch going ASAP. Could one put the next batch right back on top of the yeast cake? (or thin layer in this case)

4. If I can't do #3, I don't have access to the same yeast. I do have EC-1118 which I see other people have mentioned. If I do use it instead, will a 5g carboy still work ok for the same volume or will I likely need a blowoff tube?

I could get in trouble with this stuff... :)

Obviously I have not aged this enough, but after over 2 months I tried my apfelwein.

It basically tastes like nothing.

While it may be all the cigarettes I've smoked tonight, it really tates like alcohol with a slight apple juice aftertaste.

At about a month, it tasted like a nice white wine, but with time it has really lost a lot of it's taste.

Did I do something wrong, or do I just need to let it age?

Thanks in advance!

:mug:

2. I plan on bottling some still and carb some in 12oz bottles. I've read of people doing both but does anyone actually prefer this still?

I prefer it still... the wife likes it carbed.
3. I plan on getting another batch going ASAP. Could one put the next batch right back on top of the yeast cake? (or thin layer in this case)

That's what I did and it worked fine.

I prefer it still... the wife likes it carbed.

Thanks! I ended up doing half and half. The 12 still bottles will likely be for me after some aging and I'll still have the carbed half for people who can't take things as flat and dry as I. ;)

There's too much of this thread to go around!! I'm sure this has been asked like 5000x, but can you re-pitch old montrachet for a new batch?

There's too much of this thread to go around!! I'm sure this has been asked like 5000x, but can you re-pitch old montrachet for a new batch?

Sure, no reason why you couldn't. Rack the Apfelwein as per usual, then toss in another batch of AJ/dextrose on top of the yeast cake.

If it's going to sit out for more than a few hours, I wouldn't take the risk of infection, to be honest. A new packet of dried yeast is only about $1.

Well my Apfelwine has hit the 4 week mark today.
Made the recipe too the tee except I used Members mark juice(pure juice from concentrate with ascorbic acid).

Took a sample out and it was not clear at all, clearer than it was during fermentation but not see through clear.

The taste was good, has a tad bit of bite to it and a slight yeasty flavor. Should I add some Geletan and bottle in a day or two or just let it sit for a couple more weeks and see where it goes. My fermentation took the better part of 3 weeks though, I might have fermented cooler than normal?

Back