Autosparge hole location on Keggle MT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlynormalguy

Reaction score
I'm putting together a Mash Tun from a Bud type keg, and wondering where the best location to drill the hole for my Blichman Autosparge. The autosparge is adjustable for various grain bed heights, but there are limits(upper and lower) that it can reach. I only do 10 gal batches, and plan to empty my RIMS output through the autosparge port during mashing(A.S. float removed). Where is yours located, and would you do anything differently?

I mounted mine as high as I could in my keg MLT. With small beers (1.045'ish OG) I learned that I need to increase the grist:water ratio so the top of the grain bed is higher in the MLT. Makes for a smoother sparge with my process. YMMV (batch size here is 10 gal net)

Beach

FWIW, I had the autosparge installed for over a year and it never worked. I could use it to sparge, but there was never anything auto about it, except when it didn't let any water flow at all. I just switched back to a standard sparge arm and brew days are much more smooth now. YMMV of course.

So far, I'm looking to drill my A.S. hole about 2" down from where the keg roof starts to curve. I hope this is far down enough to reach lower gravity mash scenarios. Schristian, did your valve open and close when you moved the float up and down manually?

Mine is mounted about a inch below the top skirt weld. I've brewed 2 10 gallon batches (18-20lb grain bill) with it so far and no issues.

3BB001 said:
Mine is mounted about a inch below the top skirt weld. I've brewed 2 10 gallon batches (18-20lb grain bill) with it so far and no issues.

Perfect...I think that's what I'm going to do.

Back