AG = more trub/yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first AG brews a week ago and last night I racked the Stone IPA clone to a clearing tank and dry hopped it. MAN there was A LOT of yeast and trub on the bottom of the fermentor. It was crazy. When it was all racked over the trub line was at the one gallon mark on the bucket. I have never got even half that much with the extract brews.

Anyone else notice this?

Oh, and the brew tasted amazing. :rockin:

I noticed that on my first AG batch. If I'm not mistaken, that extra trub is from the grain particulate. Maybe I'm 100% wrong, but I can't think of anything else that differs from PM or extract. Then again, it might be some kind of molecular issue that someone who knows more about it can explain here and make me look like a retard :D

Evan! said:
I noticed that on my first AG batch. If I'm not mistaken, that extra trub is from the grain particulate. Maybe I'm 100% wrong, but I can't think of anything else that differs from PM or extract. Then again, it might be some kind of molecular issue that someone who knows more about it can explain here and make me look like a retard :D

Well, there are also more proteins present in an AG batch than in extract like the hot and cold break. More of that material would result in more trub.

I always see more trub with AG. Proteins, grain bits &, I suspect, more and bigger yeast because of the increased level of nutrients.

I noticed the difference too, but in the brewpot instead of the primary. I also used a whirfloc tablet with my first ag and ended up leaving about a gallon of proteins, etc in the bottom of my brewpot (5 gal batch).

Back