White IPA Inspired Brew - critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I love the chainbreaker white IPA, and decided to brew something that is inspired by it....not at all meant to be a witbier or an IPA.....just something different with what I had on hand. I hope I didn't make something undrinkable, but we shall see. What do you all think?

16 gallon batch

22 pounds pale
4 pounds pils
1 pound munich
2 pounds flaked oats
2 pounds malted red wheat
1 pound sugar
1 oz millenium at 60
2 oz centennial at 30
1 oz cenntennial 15
1 oz columbus 15
2 oz belma at 15
2 oz centennial at FO
2 oz columbus at FO
4 oz belma at FO
5 oz crushed corriander at FO
Wyeast 3944 (2.5 liters on a stir plate)
Mash at 150
OG = 1.065
FG - 1.008?....
IBU roughly 55
Ferment at 65-67 degrees

I have concerns of a crazily bitter and undrinkably dry beer.......but its in the fermenter, no turning back now.

55 IBUs doesn't seem like too much; millenium's bittering power is greatly overstated (in my experiences with it), and the same is generally believed about any hops added in the last 15 minutes. 4lbs of wheat and oats should soften the dryness and bitterness as well. 5oz of coriander sure seems like a lot. Belma, centennial, columbus, coriander and 3944; that's a lot of flavors. I hope they work well together.

Thank you for the input. I figured 1.7 oz ounce corriandee didnt seem like an awefull lot, maybe it is tho? I told my friends, this beer will either be amazing or undrinkable.

I cold crashed this beer and dry hopped with 5 oz of glacier hops at 40 degrees for three weeks. Kegged and carbed her up. The beer is spot on for a chainbreaker clone. Fruitty, aromatic, dry, refreshing, crisp and drinkable. Awesome beer

Back